Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rob Tanner <rt...@linfield.edu> on 2007/06/08 03:59:34 UTC

Re: Can't seem to get logging to work in Tomcat 5.5.9

Georg,

Finally kind of solved my problem.  First, I went to a fresh install of
5.5.23 and then added the log4j.properties file in
${CATALINA_HOME}/common/classes and the log4j jar file in
${CATALINA_HOME}/common/lib. No go.  So, thinking maybe the
documentation was wrong, I moved the properties file to
${CATALINA_HOME}/conf.  Again, no go.  The I copied it back to
common/classes and therefore unintentionally left a copy in conf.  And
suddenly things started working.  Of course, log level DEBUG is not
terribly helpful in most cases (too much data) and so I modified the
properties file, switching it to INFO and things broke.  Then I
remembered the copy in conf and changed it.  What seems to be happening
and makes no logical sense is that so long as I have identical copies of
the log4j.properties file in conf and common/classes, everything works.
I'm sure that somewhere, something is screwed up, but I have no idea
what.  Weird!

-- Rob