Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> on 2006/05/13 06:19:06 UTC

Question on JMock License

The ADF Faces podling, currently in the incubator, is considering a possible
dependency on the JMock mock objects library[1], which is licensed as
follows[2].

Two questions:

* Because this would be a compile time only dependency, not something
  distributed with a release, are the license acceptance rules the same as
  for code distributed with releases?

* If so, is the JMock license considered compatible?

Craig McClanahan

[1] http://jmock.codehaus.org/
[2] http://jmock.codehaus.org/license.html

Re: Question on JMock License

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 13 May 2006 12:19, Craig McClanahan wrote:
> The ADF Faces podling, currently in the incubator, is considering a
> possible dependency on the JMock mock objects library[1], which is licensed
> as follows[2].
>
> Two questions:
>
> * Because this would be a compile time only dependency, not something
>   distributed with a release, are the license acceptance rules the same as
>   for code distributed with releases?

AFAIK, there is no distinction between a "runtime" and a "compile time"
dependency for Open Source projects, as the main artifact of distribution is
the Source, which I presume will come with the testcases.

I also observing more and more people trying to make "binary == release",
which seems contradictory to the principle of OSS.

> * If so, is the JMock license considered compatible?

Now, that said, the license looks like a plain BSD-style license and can be
dependent upon for Apache projects.

Cheers
Niclas