Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by kn Nair <Kn...@ssa-sa.sel.sony.com> on 2002/05/06 16:41:27 UTC

.NoClassDefFoundError: java/util/ArrayList

Hi , I hope this is the way to ask,I'm new to apache and tomcat

OS HP-UX-11.0

jdk  j "HP-UX Java C.01.18.05 02/06/2001 15:50:29 jind03"
in /opt/java/bin

Apache is running trouble free on localhost:6666

Tomcat is under /opt/tomcat

the catalina.sh script runs and throws this error

This is the way i run  it

 $/opt/java/bin/java -classpath /opt/java/lib/classes.zip:/opt/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar -Dcatalina.base=/opt/tomcat -Dcatalina.home=/opt/tomcat org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

and I get this error

Bootstrap: Class loader creation threw exception
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/util/ArrayList
        at=20
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:138)

I wrote simple programs involving java.util.* and it works without any
problem.What am i doing wrong
Where is the program trying to find the class.i tried it with tools.jar also in my java path
also in the classpath but the same error occurs

Thx for your help

 Krishnankutty  N Nair
Systems Engineer-Factory Automation
Sony Semi Conductor San Antonio
(210)-647-6754(W)
(210)-235-1059(Pager)
email:kn_nair@ssa-sa.sel.sony.com

RE: .NoClassDefFoundError: java/util/ArrayList

Posted by Greg Trasuk <st...@on.aibn.com>.
Hi there:

	I'm not current on HP-UX systems (at least not since 1993), but from the
command line you give, it looks like you're using a JDK 1.1.x system.  If
that is correct, it won't contain java.util.ArrayList, since the collections
framework was added in Java 2 (i.e. JDK1.2.2 or higher).  You need to
upgrade your JDK.

Greg Trasuk, President
http://stratuscom.ca