Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org> on 2010/08/13 07:48:21 UTC

Migrating Wiki to a CouchApp

Devs,

With the help of code from Sebastian Cohnen and Paul Davis, I've imported the wiki currently at http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb to a CouchApp.

Here it is:

http://wiki.couchdb.couchdb.org/page/FrontPage

The work is still preliminary. I haven't vetted all the content, and the wiki software itself still needs to be polished. But I think in the long run we will be better off as a project to host our wiki on CouchDB.

First of all, the response time when you click a link will be faster (yay not being a slow cgi script!) Second, the code is a CouchApp, so not only will we all be able to help improve it, we can easily replicate the wiki offline for editing, etc.

In the long run it would make sense to ship a copy of the wiki with CouchDB (or at least make replicating a local instance of it super-simple).

There are some missing features. The most notable one that I don't plan to implement, is email notifications of changes to pages. I haven't added Atom feeds of recent-changes yet, but I think that can make up for the missing email feature. What do you think? If email is crucial to migrating away from MoinMoin, it is possible.

The other missing feature that I think is critical, is some built-in way to revert to old points in the history of a page. Currently history is stored but to revert would require writing some more code.

Code is here for those who want to hack:

http://github.com/couchone/pages

Hope you are as excited about this as me!

Chris

Re: Migrating Wiki to a CouchApp

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.

On Aug 13, 2010, at 6:44 AM, Mikhail A. Pokidko wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 9:48 AM, J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Devs,
>>
>> With the help of code from Sebastian Cohnen and Paul Davis, I've imported the wiki currently at http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb to a CouchApp.
>
> That is a kind code nationalism - "you your own code" )))
>
>> The other missing feature that I think is critical, is some built-in way to revert to old points in the history of a page. Currently history is stored but to revert would require writing some more code.
>
> You want exactly reverting? What about just moving HEAD version?

I suppose the new Github wikis readily support that as they are git backed.

Posted by "Mikhail A. Pokidko" <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 13 August 2010 22:33, Klaus Trainer <kl...@web.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 22:48 -0700, J Chris Anderson wrote:
>> Hope you are as excited about this as me!
>
> Yes! Sounds pretty cool. Even there's still a bunch of work to do, it's
> consequent.
>
> Looking forward to have the entire wiki in my CouchDB!
>
> - Klaus

Yeah very exciting -- I could see this becoming the biggest public
replicated couch ever  -- looking forwards to having the entire wiki
on my iPhone! Let us know when we should stop updating the old wiki...

A+
Dave

Re: Migrating Wiki to a CouchApp

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@web.de>.

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.

On Aug 13, 2010, at 8:00 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

>> (or at least make replicating a local instance of it super-simple).
>

> Bingo.
>
> We could form it like a tutorial even. When you first install CouchDB, you go to Futon, and there's a documentation section. It explains to you that the project wiki is hosted on CouchDB, and you can replicate from it. It explains some core concepts, and gives you a big fat button to press. You press it, the official wiki is replicated to your local machine. You could even make edits and replicate back. A perfect way to show off some of CouchDB's strengths.

+1 - great idea

Re: Migrating Wiki to a CouchApp

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 13 Aug 2010, at 06:48, J Chris Anderson wrote:

> But I think in the long run we will be better off as a project to host our wiki on CouchDB.

Eating out own dogfood is fine, but for the same reason I objected to BugShrink, I have my concerns about this. Are we sure that maintenance of this project is not going to take away valuable time from CouchDB? Do we have anyone who is prepared to take ownership of the project. Perhaps we could incubate it for a while, to see if it gains a community around it, before we bless it as official. Much like we did for CouchDB itself.

> In the long run it would make sense to ship a copy of the wiki with CouchDB

I disagree that we should be shipping the wiki with the official CouchDB releases. We want to keep these as small as possible. Additionally, I'm not very happy about the idea of shipping data that has not been vetted properly by the committers. However, I was thinking about how to get around these concerns, but it seems you beat me to the punch.

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Sep 9, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Russell Branca wrote:

> I'm going through some backlogs on the mailing list and stumbled upon
> this. What's the status of the new wiki? Anything you guys need help
> with? I've got a potential solution for email notifications if you're
> still looking for that. Let me know.

Yes! I want to do this, but I'm totally slammed with other stuff.

The key points are:

Finish some features on the Pages wiki codebase:
  ability to restore old versions (eg revert bad edits)
  Atom feed of edits and comments
  email notifications (not as crucial, but they'd be nice)

Get the importer solid
  it is pretty close but there are a few edge cases it misses

Figure out the infra questions (do we need to host a CouchDB on Apache Infra, or can CouchOne donate hosting to the project?)

Do the final import.

Set up redirects from the old wiki to the new wiki (this should definitely be direct from old page -> new page, not just to the front page of the new wiki.)

If people can sign up for various of these tasks, I think we can quickly make the move to the new wiki!

I'd love to see this happen, and I'll try to contribute as I can, but I'll need help from others to make it happen.

Chris

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
Glad to see people are excited!

I am willing to take (continue) ownership / maintenance of the Pages CouchApp.

The project of keeping the current wiki in sync with the CouchApp version is a horse of a different color. Once the raw dump is done, there needs to be some cleanup. Obviously with that cleanup, reimporting new changes from the old wiki becomes harder. So at some point the new wiki will have a hard break from the old one.

At that point it would make sense to encourage visitors to the old wiki, to visit the new wiki instead.

I am not a fan of leaving ghost town wikis around. So one thing I think we need to do, is configure MoinMoin to make 301 redirects from eg

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Quirks_on_Windows

http://wiki.couchdb.couchdb.org/page/Quirks_on_Windows

Also, the domain name wiki.couchdb.couchdb.org is a bit ridiculous, so before we set redirects up, we should move the new wiki to wiki.couchdb.org. I'm not sure if there's an issue here that this is not under an apache.org domain. It could be moved to wiki.couchdb.apache.org for all I care, except that doing that will probably involve more logistical headaches.

Also currently the demo wiki is hosted on Couchio servers, which we are happy to provide. There is some question as to whether we should stay on Apache Infrastructure. I'm happy to defer to Apache old-timers here. My instinct is always toward expedience, so I'm maybe not the one to make this judgement call. IMHO, the issue of running on non-Apache infra is strongly mitigated by the fact that it's a CouchDB, not some godforsaken bundle of directories, permissions, and .htaccess files.

If folks want to help, compiling a list of the pages on this new wiki that didn't translate well automatically, would be helpful. Fixing them by hand won't be necessary. If you see a broken page, just add it to this list: http://wiki.couchdb.couchdb.org/page/BrokenPages

Once we have a few broken pages, I'll go back and patch the import script to do a better job of importing them. After a few iterations, we may be down to just a handful of manual edits that need to be done, when we flip the switch to the new wiki.

As far as features on Pages that we need to complete before this switch is viable, the top ones to my mind are:

* Atom feeds of recent changes and comments.
* Some variety of safe-Markdown (currently it's wide open to script-injection attacks).
* Editable history so that an old version can be promoted as the current version.

None of these are that hard to write, and they are part of the natural course of things that the wiki software needs anyway.

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
nice, it is very snappy. I could see this would encourage more use.

The home link is out of sync with the FrontPage.

Oddly I'm not able to clone the github source without first cloning it. Anyway the issue with the home link seems to be in profileReady/mustache.html, it points to "index" which is a WIKI page not yet created