Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "antongiulio05@gmail.com" <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/08 21:27:08 UTC

HyperLink Office connection

Hi,

I have a webapp (Spring+Hibernate) running on Tomcat 5.5.15. Tomcat is configured for Single-Sign-On and it works fine with the login system of the application (typical login/password).

Anyway at the moment it's not well working when an external link is executed from a Word file (Microsoft Office 2003/2007 - more info here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899927).
Basically when the link requires a protected page, normally the user is redirected to the login page and, after a successful login, the page should be displayed. But it happens only if the user Copy&Paste the link on the browser URL bar. Instead, if he clicks on the Word file after the login, he is redirected to the default home page.

I debugged the application, browser cookies and http sessions and it looks like another session is created:

1) when the link is sent ("200") to the application
2) it returns "302" http status and JSESSIONID (strangely this value is always the same)
2) Word requires connection again ("200")
3) A new JSESSIONID cookie is created differently from the 1) and returns "200"

the changed session of course cause of the application fails the redirection after login.

How can I configure Tomcat to make it work with this kind of connection and keeping on work with the usual login via browser?

Thanks,
Julio

RE: HyperLink Office connection

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Another pure java based altearnative would be if you all you need is a servlet that reads/writes Microsoft Compound Documents write a POI based servlet?
http://poi.apache.org/casestudies.html

Martin

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by antonio giulio <an...@gmail.com>.
> And in this new browser tab, you get the login form ?

Yes

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by antonio giulio <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrè,

yes I know the "route" is very long tho at this point I don't see many
alternatives.
The "200" returned to Office with the same path of the first request
(changing "http" to "https") make it working with one session only.
I have not the Office's specification for this communication (maybe
are "closed" cos I didn't find anything about it) but I suspect that
every value returned but "200" cause Office creates a new session and
if you close the communication after the first request, Word returns
an error-popup about connection (no good for the customers of course).

The only points where I can see possible improvements are:

1) Avoiding CGI, and working directly in the "httpd.conf" with some
mod_* (I don't know what)
2) Using C instead of Perl for the CGI
3) Some way to pass through Tomcat and maybe the application (but I
cannot see a real gain respect to the CGI)

Any hints?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.

Posted by antonio giulio <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andre',

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by antonio giulio <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 10/06/2010 10:31, antonio giulio wrote:
> No proxy for the browser.
>
> I try to describe better with header stuff steps:
>
> 1) When the user click on link the request for the URL is sent by Office/Word
> 2) Office/Word connect 200 to the server
> 3) Server sends back 302 http status and a redirect on the "Location:
> /login-page"
> 4) Office/Word cause of 302 try to connect again and gets 200
> 5) Server sends 200 and Location: /login-page

Servers don't send 200 and a Location header, are you sure this is
what's happening?

> 6) Now the web broser page is open on the /login-page

You said earlier this stuff occurred in the OS browser?
At which step does it switch to a OS browser window?

Posted by antonio giulio <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 09/06/2010 20:21, antonio giulio wrote:
> When u click on the link a browser is open (my deafult browser is
> firefox but with IE is the same)
> Basically it looks at me this:
>
> the browser starts one session and so tomcat generate a jsessionid-cookie
> Word (Office) open a parallel connection with the same server, so
> tomcat create a new jsessionid.

Can you confirm what happens when you click the URL in Word?

Is it as Chris/Chuck asked opening in an embedded browser in Word, or
does it launch a new tab/window in the default OS web browser?

LBFAS

Posted by antonio giulio <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: HyperLink Office connection

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by antonio giulio <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Pid wrote:
> On 09/06/2010 15:49, antonio giulio wrote:
>> Ok finally I got access to tweak apache, and after different tests it
>> doesn't look be the cause.
>> So I ask you, does it exist a way to force tomcat working with the
>> same JSESSIONID generated for the client session?
>
> I'm not sure this is anything to do with Tomcat.
>
> The logs before showed the "CONNECT" method being used for the broken
> connection, probably indicating that a proxy was in use.
>
> If the proxy doesn't pass the cookie, then you'll get the login form.
>
> The source of the problem seems to be the browser (or whatever client
> you're using) here, not Tomcat.  No amount of fiddling with Tomcat will
> get you what you want if the client isn't playing ball.
>

> Can you explain in detail what occurs when a user clicks the link in the
> Word doc?  Are they already logged into the app?

Let me guess :
The user connects to the website with a browser, and logs in to some
application.  They then search and get a link to some Word document,
which they click.  The Word document is downloaded, and opened on their
workstation, by MS-Word.
The Word document contains a URL link, to the same website.

Now the OP would like that when this user clicks on the link, they
obtain this new (protected) resource, by virtue of having already
logged-in to the website in the browser before.

Is that the correct scenario ?

Re: HyperLink Office connection

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by antonio giulio <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

thanks for the reply. From your replies I got a new doubt. Maybe the
problem is in the Apache conf and not (or not only) in the Tomcat
conf.

This is a more concrete log when a link is clicked on the Word file
with relatives client/server communitcation:

#	Result	Protocol	Host	URL	Body	Caching	Content-Type	User-defined
1	302	HTTP	mycompany.com	/main/subscription/renewer.cis?action=overview&entry_id=4468	478		text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1
2	200	HTTP	CONNECT	mycompany.com:443	0
3	302	<HTTPS	mycompany.com	/main/subscription/renewer.cis?action=overview&entry_id=4468	0		text/plain;
charset=UTF-8
4	200	HTTP	CONNECT	mycompany.com:443	0
5	200	<HTTPS	mycompany.com	/main/login.cis	5,102	no-cache  Expires:
Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT	text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1

#3 & #5 have 2 different JSESSIONID generated

Here http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies I found that one
of the possible origins for the "302" response and relative lost of
session could be
/main/subscription/renewer.cis?action=overview&entry_id=4468 returned
incomplete cos of missing (in my case) configuration for
mod_proxy_http. Unfortunely at the moment I have no writing access to
the conf (internal company policies) so I cannot test it.

Could be it a reason of I should "tweak" tomcat anyway?

This is one of the Tomcat file I found configured (server-minimal.xml):

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

  <GlobalNamingResources>
    <!-- Used by Manager webapp -->
              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
          pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
  </GlobalNamingResources>

  <Service name="Catalina">
    <Connector port="8080" />

    <!-- This is here for compatibility only, not required -->
    <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" />

             resourceName="UserDatabase" />
      <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps" />
    </Engine>

  </Service>
</Server>

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
antongiulio05@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a webapp (Spring+Hibernate) running on Tomcat 5.5.15. Tomcat is configured for Single-Sign-On and it works fine with the login system of the application (typical login/password).
>
> Anyway at the moment it's not well working when an external link is executed from a Word file (Microsoft Office 2003/2007 - more info here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899927).
> Basically when the link requires a protected page, normally the user is redirected to the login page and, after a successful login, the page should be displayed. But it happens only if the user Copy&Paste the link on the browser URL bar. Instead, if he clicks on the Word file after the login, he is redirected to the default home page.
>
> I debugged the application, browser cookies and http sessions and it looks like another session is created:
>
> 1) when the link is sent ("200") to the application
> 2) it returns "302" http status and JSESSIONID (strangely this value is always the same)
> 2) Word requires connection again ("200")
> 3) A new JSESSIONID cookie is created differently from the 1) and returns "200"
>
> the changed session of course cause of the application fails the redirection after login.
>
> How can I configure Tomcat to make it work with this kind of connection and keeping on work with the usual login via browser?

Without really digging deep into it, my first impression is that this
will not work, for the following reason :
Your Word instance is a different process than the browser, and it makes
its own connection to the server, distinct from the connection the
browser makes.  The server "senses" this, and creates a new session.
Or else (but similar in the effect), to retrieve this document, Word
calls the browser with this URL, and the browser makes a new connection
to the server to retrieve it.

You could try forcing Tomcat to not use cookies, and put the session-id
in the URL (I forget how to do this, but someone here knows and will
tell us).

But even so, I think that the whole scheme is rather flaky, because its
behaviour will be unstable in front of the various combinations of
workstations and browsers, and how they handle this.

If you describe the application a bit more in detail, someone here might
be able to suggest a scheme that works better.
For example, you mention Microsoft Office. Does that mean that all your
potential users are going to be accessing this from Windows
workstations, all of them logged-in in a Windows domain, and that your
server is also in that Windows domain ?
And are the Word document static documents, or are they being generated
on-the-fly for this one logged-in user ?

Re: HyperLink Office connection

Posted by antonio giulio <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christopher,

> Can you give us an example of a URL that looks like it should work from
> Word (but doesn't) but does work properly when you copy/paste?

first, this kind of URL is intercepted by Apache using mod_rewrite conf:

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: HyperLink Office connection

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 08/06/2010 20:27, antongiulio05@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a webapp (Spring+Hibernate) running on Tomcat 5.5.15. Tomcat is configured for Single-Sign-On and it works fine with the login system of the application (typical login/password).

You should really make a plan to upgrade Tomcat promptly, that version
is seriously old and there have been another 14 version releases since
then, with many bug and security fixes.