Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2007/03/11 22:54:00 UTC

Which JDK for trunk?

[Forgot to rename this thread when replying]

Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> > If someone wants to upgrade us to [JUnit] v4
> > (q.v. http://www.devx.com/Java/Article/31983),
> > feel free.  Please test before committing.
> >
> > I'm fairly convinced that we can move to JDK 5 for trunk,
> > since it will be a long time before we're ready to release
> > from it, and we can take advantage of new features, some
> > of which we really want to leverage.

> JAMES has mature java 1.4 implementations for several protocols.
> i've been wondering whether we might be able to use the
> modularisation to maintain support for 1.4 whilst exploiting 1.5
> features. so, rather than just jumping everything to 1.5, this
> choice could be made on a per module basis.

That's been the plan, but I'm wondering if we might not be better of just
going for JSE 5.  I do not expect to see anything releasable from trunk
until end of 2007, and that should be fine for JSE 5 and later.

For example, this would allow us to use annotations to help with assembly,
and that would be a pervasive change.

	--- Noel

Re: Which JDK for trunk?

Posted by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de>.
Noel J. Bergman schrieb:
> [Forgot to rename this thread when replying]
>
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>

>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>

>>> If someone wants to upgrade us to [JUnit] v4
>>> (q.v. http://www.devx.com/Java/Article/31983),
>>> feel free.  Please test before committing.
>>>
>>> I'm fairly convinced that we can move to JDK 5 for trunk,
>>> since it will be a long time before we're ready to release
>>> from it, and we can take advantage of new features, some
>>> of which we really want to leverage.
>>>

>> JAMES has mature java 1.4 implementations for several protocols.
>> i've been wondering whether we might be able to use the
>> modularisation to maintain support for 1.4 whilst exploiting 1.5
>> features. so, rather than just jumping everything to 1.5, this
>> choice could be made on a per module basis.
>>

> That's been the plan, but I'm wondering if we might not be better of just
> going for JSE 5.  I do not expect to see anything releasable from trunk
> until end of 2007, and that should be fine for JSE 5 and later.
>
> For example, this would allow us to use annotations to help with assembly,
> and that would be a pervasive change.
>
> 	--- Noel

I whould like to move to JSE 5. So we could use Generics , enums etc.  I
don't care to much about 1.4 compatibility, but if the majory want to
keep it im fine with it.

bye
Norman

Ps: Sorry for being so inactiv the last weeks, but im to busy at the moment

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

i.A. Norman Maurer
Systemadministrator

ByteAction GmbH
Auf der Beune 83-85
64839 Münster

Phone:   +49 (0) 60 71 92 16 - 21
Fax:       +49 (0) 60 71 92 16 - 20
E-mail:    nm@byteaction.de
Internet: www.byteaction.de
AG Darmstadt, HRB 33271
Ust-Id: DE206997247
GF: Thomas Volkert
Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche Informationen und ist nur für den in der E-Mail genannten Adressaten bestimmt. Für den Fall, dass der Empfänger dieser E-Mail nicht der in der E-Mail benannte Adressat ist, weisen wir darauf hin, dass das Lesen, Kopieren, die Wiedergabe, Verbreitung, Vervielfältigung, Bekanntmachung, Veränderung, Verteilung und/oder Veröffentlichung der E-Mail strengstens untersagt ist. Bitte verständigen Sie den Absender dieser E-Mail unter folgender Rufnummer +49 (0) 6071 / 9216-0, falls Sie irrtümlich diese E-Mail erhalten haben und löschen Sie diese E-Mail. Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail ist nur rechtsverbindlich, wenn er von unserer Seite schriftlich durch Brief oder Telefax bestätigt wird. Die Versendung von E-Mails an uns hat keine fristwahrende Wirkung.

This e-mail contains information which is privileged and is intended only for the Addressee named in the e-mail. In case that the recipient of this e-mail is not the named addressee, we would like to inform you that it is strictly prohibited to read, to reproduce, to disseminate, to copy, to disclose, to modify, to distribute and/or to publish this e-mail. If you have received this e-mail in error, please call the sender under following telephone number +49 (0) 6071 / 9216-0 and delete this e-mail. The content of this e-mail is not legally binding unless confirmed by letter or telefax. E-mails which are sent to us do not constitute compliance with any time limits or deadlines.

Re: Which JDK for trunk?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> I'm wondering if we might not be better of just going for JSE 5.
>> +1 but please tag the last java 1.4 compatible trunk before
>> applying any java5 specific change.
>
> If you mean the source code, fine.  But as far as I can see, we do not
> currently have a 1.4 compatible trunk.  Not until someone goes through and
> fixes the jsieve binaries (and any others that are at the wrong level).

Right!

Either way the tag alone will not be useful to build artifacts, but only
as a reference point or a start point for a branch (where we can fix the
jsieve problems).

I think is unlikely we'll use the tag, but I would like to have it
tagged anyway if we move to java5.

>>> I do not expect to see anything releasable from trunk
>>> until end of 2007, and that should be fine for JSE 5
>> Can you elaborate on the facts that led you think we'll be able to
>> release trunk at the end of 2007? What do you expect to happen in
>> this 9 months?
>
> Are you asking why I expect 9 months before a release, or ONLY 9 months?
> :-)
>
> 	--- Noel

Don't know.. think as this is part of the question ;-)

Stefano

RE: Which JDK for trunk?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Which JDK for trunk?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

RE: Which JDK for trunk?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
And it turns out that we already have an issue.  When trying to do a build
with my local build environment, which uses JDK 1.4.2 (the nightly build
system uses JDK 5), I ran into the problem that the JSieve class files in
trunk's stage directory are version 49 instead of 48.

	--- Noel