Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/10/17 15:09:24 UTC

Re: mathml xsl &#symbols

The "?" in place of &#2062;  may actually not be a problem. Some tools
can't display all the Unicode characters, and show the ones they don't
understand as question marks. So the first thing to check is to load the
file into something that will let you see the actual bytes and check
whether the problem is in the file or in the tool you're using to view it.

If it really isn't showing up correctly: Are you using Xalan's serializers
as your output, or are you taking SAX or DOM output? Our serializers
should be scanning for codes that can't be expressed in the document's
encoding (as set in xsl:output) and converting them to numeric character
references. If you don't specify an encoding, we should be producing
UTF-8, which can represent all of Unicode but which may require 2 or 3
bytes to represent the higher-numbered characters; this will only displsy
properly in a tool that understands UTF-8.

If you *ARE* using SAX or DOM output, the text will be UTF-16 (since
that's how those APIs represent characters) and it's the responsibilty of
your next stage of code to be able to deal with that.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research