Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com> on 2006/08/01 22:12:11 UTC

Re: What changes would you make to stop spam? - United Nations Paper

At 12:56 PM 8/1/2006, you wrote:
>I'm writing a paper that I'm submitting to an Internet Governance
>Forum of the United Nations. Keeping in mind that free speech and
>freedom is important, what would you change in the world to stop spam?

Turning Spamming into a capital offense punishable by death would be
a good start. :-D

Re: What changes would you make to stop spam? - United Nations Paper

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Evan Platt wrote:
> At 12:56 PM 8/1/2006, you wrote:
>> I'm writing a paper that I'm submitting to an Internet Governance
>> Forum of the United Nations. Keeping in mind that free speech and
>> freedom is important, what would you change in the world to stop spam?
>
> Turning Spamming into a capital offense punishable by death would be a
> good start. :-D

That might work in countries with no regard for human like like the
United States, Iran, North Korea, and Sudan. :)

Re: What changes would you make to stop spam? - United Nations Paper

Posted by Randy Smith <pe...@falconsroost.alamosa.co.us>.
On Tuesday 01 August 2006 14:16, Ninja Dude wrote:
> Evan Platt wrote:
> > Turning Spamming into a capital offense punishable by death would be a
> > good start. :-D
>
> Now I'm trying to figure out what a capital offense would be that
> *isn't* punishable by death...

Using the wrong case on the letters/words of your ransom note?

--
Randy Smith
http://perlstalker.amigo.net/

Re: What changes would you make to stop spam? - United Nations Paper

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Rob McEwen wrote:
> Honestly, I haven't been following this thread much... but I do want to add
> that the UN is full of thugs who are power hungry and would like very much
> to control the Internet and implement a world tax and probably a tax on the
> Internet as well.

Just to keep things in perspective, there are plenty of people who would
say the exact same thing, except substituting "US" for "UN" and "George
W. Bush" for "Kofi Annan".  Even the comparison to Palpatine.

Now, back on the subject of actually fighting spam...

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: What changes would you make to stop spam? - United Nations Paper

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
Rob, PLEASE uninject politics from this list. It's counter productive.
That is what I meant about the original attempt to inject politics.

{o.o}
Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Kenneth Porter" <sh...@sewingwitch.com>

> --On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 2:47 PM -0700 jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>> That slightly more than a year I spent as perhaps one of
>> the VERY first online stalking victims ever (1985-1987) was a hell
>> I'd rather not repeat.
>
> Is this written up somewhere? I'd be interested in understanding the threat.

Brock Meeks (former MSNBC Chief Washington Correspondent) wrote it
up in about 1987. If you can contact him he might have a writeup
around. All I have, if I can find it, is a printed copy. And given
copyright laws I'm not going to type it into a computer and post it.

{^_^}

Re: What changes would you make to stop spam? - United Nations Paper

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Kenneth Porter" <sh...@sewingwitch.com>
> --On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 11:09 AM -0400 Rob McEwen
> <ro...@powerviewsystems.com> wrote:
>
>> Honestly, I haven't been following this thread much... but I do want to
>> add that the UN is full of thugs who are power hungry and would like very
>> much to control the Internet and implement a world tax and probably a tax
>> on the Internet as well.
>
> Good point. While stopping spam, we shouldn't destroy anonymity. I'm sure
> repressive regimes like North Korea and Iran would love an anti-spam
> measure that let them keep better tabs on what their citizens are saying.

I'd love to see your reaction if somebody anonymously stalks you (I've
been a victim of that before) or manages to libel or slander you. If
you cannot find the person you cannot protect yourself or litigate the
ill done to you. I fail to see the need for absolute anonymity. I do
see a need for "routine anonymity" that can be pierced if absolutely
required. (That slightly more than a year I spent as perhaps one of
the VERY first online stalking victims ever (1985-1987) was a hell
I'd rather not repeat. - - - MUCH later I heard the perp committed
suicide, finally, when he could not get his life back together. His
reputation did him in once it was prosecuted - for credit fraud related
to the means he used for his stalking. Fine was $1000. Lawyer fees
ate all his resources. His wife left him. He returned to Germany. Had
problems there. Eventually he gave up. I CANNOT say I am sorry about
that. It was a living Hell. And being reminded of it leaves me more
than a little "testy", which is why I chewed on some people yesterday
more than I should have. I had to explain about this to a friend who
is also a list manager early yesterday. Not a nice way to start the
day. The bright side of it is that the incident prompted me to look up
someone who was there and had reported on it, Brock Meeks. He's done
quite well for himself, it seems. Congratulations to him.)

"The only absolute rule is that there are no absolute rules."

{o.o}

RE: What changes would you make to stop spam? - United Nations Paper

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by "Rosenbaum, Larry M." <ro...@ornl.gov>.
> From: Evan Platt [mailto:evan@espphotography.com]
> Speaking of which, when they give a person the lethal injection, why
> do they wipe the area with a alcohol swab?

To protect the needle?

Re: What changes would you make to stop spam? - United Nations Paper

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 01:16 PM 8/1/2006, you wrote:
>Evan Platt wrote:
>
>>Turning Spamming into a capital offense punishable by death would
>>be a good start. :-D
>
>Now I'm trying to figure out what a capital offense would be that
>*isn't* punishable by death...

Ohhhh yeah huh,

Department of redundancy department.

Well, just in case there was any doubt.... So umm.. Kill the spammer.
Twice. Slowly. Painfully.  Maybe even three times.

Speaking of which, when they give a person the lethal injection, why
do they wipe the area with a alcohol swab?

I say, use the same rusty needle they've used for the last 30 years,
and don't bother with an alcahol swab. Use some sewage water.

Re: What changes would you make to stop spam? - United Nations Paper

Posted by Ninja Dude <ni...@speed.net>.
Evan Platt wrote:

> Turning Spamming into a capital offense punishable by death would be a
> good start. :-D

Now I'm trying to figure out what a capital offense would be that
*isn't* punishable by death...

--
The Ninja Dude.  Striking spam from the shadows.
Please, don't send mail to ninjadude@speed.net