Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Ingo <in...@gmx.net> on 2021/01/09 20:16:41 UTC

[allura:tickets] #8352 Convert ApacheAccessHandler.py from mod_python to mod_wsgi

I played around with it more.

The good thing:
Looking at it in detail, I found, that the structure of the existing handler is not the worst, when we want to stay with the interface between the apache instance, and the allura instance itself. So I would not change this fundamentally at the moment.

The bad thing:
I didn't find a way to allow this optional anonymous access, how we do it with mod_python, for WSGI.

Background:
With mod_python we are able to return HTTP error codes. So we can "simply" return "unauthorized" to trigger the authorization by the browser. But in WSGI we can only implement the functions "check_password" and "allow_access", which can basically only return True / False.

Has anyone a hint/idea, how to workaround that?

---

** [tickets:#8352] Convert ApacheAccessHandler.py from mod_python to mod_wsgi**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** unreleased
**Labels:** py3
**Created:** Wed Feb 26, 2020 07:54 PM UTC by Dave Brondsema
**Last Updated:** Tue Dec 22, 2020 07:44 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

mod_wsgi is how we run the main app, mod_python is very old school and we shouldn't be using it.

Recent versions of Ubunut look like they drop support for mod_python anyway rather than supporting it on python3: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libapache2-mod-python/+bug/1735368  Although mod_python does work with python 3, it'd just have to be built manually.

---

Sent from forge-allura.apache.org because dev@allura.apache.org is subscribed to https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/tickets/