Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2016/05/09 16:48:41 UTC

Draft download pages

Hi,

I have drafted download pages for the upcoming release:

http://taverna.staging.apache.org/download/engine/
http://taverna.staging.apache.org/download/common-activities/
http://taverna.staging.apache.org/download/commandline/

And listed them on
http://taverna.staging.apache.org/download/

(Please, don't push the CMS publish button now!)

Please review and edit!

While the first two are new, and basically clones of the
/download/osgi/ page, the third page  include links to Taverna Command
Line 2.5, as I think 'normal' users should still generally download
2.5 before we know how well 3.1.0 works on 'real' workflows.

For 2.5, should we keep the links to the legacy site's
http://www.taverna.org.uk/download/command-line-tool/2-5/

(Alan - what happened about those legacy banners?)

or just send them to the big list on
https://bitbucket.org/taverna/taverna-commandline-product/downloads/
?

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: News pages was Re: Draft download pages

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 10/05/2016 14:09, Ian Dunlop wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I guess its the G+ feed that needs updated. Who controls it? Looks like
> some GSoC 2016 news/tweets are needed. No point having the social media
> feeds if they are not used :(

It's strange as some posts have been made e.g. BioVeL = SEEK and Taverna
addressing climate change.

> Cheers,
>
> Ian

Alan

Re: News pages was Re: Draft download pages

Posted by Ian Dunlop <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Re: Draft download pages

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.
> OK, great if you could put it live!
>
> I think now with the Command Line relesse is a good time to force old users
> through the Apache Taverna pages, even if it might mean they go back to the
> archive page to download the 2.5 Workbench.

It should be live now.

Alan

Re: Draft download pages

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Draft download pages

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.
Thanks for the blast-from-your-past, Stian. Too bad I can't read Norwegian!
I speak a little German, so I'm familiar with compound-word-isms. ;-)

Deciding how to hyphenate and capitalize Command-line Tool turns out not to
be a trivial issue. I spent some time today looking into this. (If you're
really interested, I wrote a blog post, too: http://bit.ly/1TS7YXi)

------------------------------------
Documentation
------------------------------------
As Stian noted, both command line and command-line can be found. After some
thinking, this is what I propose for the documentation (README files and
website).

Use Taverna Command-line Tool when talking about the tool and in titles.
For example, Taverna Command-line Tool (as a title)
or “The Taverna Command-line Tool relies upon …” (in a sentence).

Use all lower case (command-line tool) when talking about generic
command-line tools.
For example, “The Taverna Command-line Tool is one of two command-line
tools…”

Other acceptable ways of referring to the Taverna Command-line Tool (and
variations) would be:
     Command-line Tool
     Apache Taverna Command-line Tool
     Apache Taverna Command-line product

Avoid:
    Taverna Command-line (always use “Tool”)
    Taverna Command line Tool (always hyphenate)
    Taverna Command Line Tool (always hyphenate and use lower case “l”)

------------------------------------
Changes to git repo/groupId?
------------------------------------
As far as the GIt repo and groupId names for the Command-line Tool are
concerned,
I agree that keeping "commandline" as one word in the repo, groupId, and
artifacts looks cleaner.

In looking at the repo names and pom.xml files, I wonder if it is
reasonable to change the following:

incubator-taverna-common-activities
     --> groupId to org.apache.taverna.common.activities

incubator-taverna-commandline
     -->   name to Apache Taverna Command-line

incubator-taverna-workbench-common-activities
     -->   groupId to org.apache.workbench.common.activities
     -->  artifact to apache-workbench-common-activity

I don't know how difficult it is to manage all the relationships, but it
would be nice if these were consistent.

------------------------------------
Question
------------------------------------
incubator-taverna-workbench-product has the same groupId as
incubator-taverna-workbench. Is this correct?

To quote Ian, Cheers!

Gale

Re: Draft download pages

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Draft download pages

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.
Is there a difference between "Taverna Command Line Tool" and "Taverna
Command Line"? It seems sometimes on the download page we use one term and
sometimes we use the other term. For example,

>Taverna Command Line Tool
<http://taverna.staging.apache.org/documentation/command-line> enables you
to run workflows from a command prompt.

>Taverna Command Line Tool is basically the Taverna Workbench stripped of
its GUI so you can run workflows from a command prompt headlessly (i.e.
without the graphical environment).

Re: Draft download pages

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.

Re: Draft download pages