Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by O....@ceyoniq.com on 2002/08/09 10:35:40 UTC

Why does ObjectNode use Vector ?

Hello,

we are evaluating the possibility to use Slide for
huge amounts of documents.

One needed feature would be to support folders with
millions of documents. It's clear that someone could not
navigate into such a folder anymore but would be restricted
to search (via DASL) before he could have access to a document.

Our current plan is to implement our own store and our own
search engine. The backend would be a RDBMS.
But before we start we want to make sure that this can work.
So we studied the source code a little bit.

One thing we stumbled over is the following:
Currently the class ObjectNode is used as a parameter in many
places. For example "NodeStore.retrieveObject(Uri uri)".
ObjectNode is an abstract class with protected member variables
"children" and "links" both of type "Vector".

Our plan was to implement a "lazy" ObjectNode subclass which
would not store the list of children in memory but create
it "lazy" during access.

So the question is: what's the reason to force subclasses of ObjectNode
to use Vectors ? An alternative would be to not use member variables
inside ObjectNode but only interfaces.

Another question is: why do you not use the newer interfaces of the
collection
framework (List,Iterator) instead ?

The third question: is there a chance that a patch that would change this
would be accepted ?

Ciao, Olli

--
Oliver Geisser