Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com> on 2013/06/18 18:06:18 UTC

why isn't it an error when you try to create an index which duplicates a constraint?

I have filed DERBY-6269 to track the following problem: If you create an
index which duplicates a constraint, you get a misleading warning
suggesting that the index was actually created. But it wasn't.

Does anyone know why this situation raises a warning rather than an error?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: why isn't it an error when you try to create an index which duplicates a constraint?

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 6/18/2013 9:06 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I have filed DERBY-6269 to track the following problem: If you create
> an index which duplicates a constraint, you get a misleading warning
> suggesting that the index was actually created. But it wasn't.
>
> Does anyone know why this situation raises a warning rather than an
> error?
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3300 brings up this issue
and proposes the solution of creating another logical index instead.
That would I think be a less disruptive solution wrt to compatibility.