Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Bernd Hofner <bh...@hofner-informatik.de> on 2021/02/01 20:24:59 UTC

RDP Idle Session Timeout

Hello,

I'm using Guacamole 1.2.0 with XRDP v0.9.14 and xorgxrdp v0.2.14

On my RDP host (Ubuntu) I've configured in /etc/xrdp/sesman.ini:

IdleTimeLimit=0

My expectation was, that an RDP session opened via Guacamole stays open
"indefinetly".

In fact, my users report that they get the Guacamole session disconnect
message after ~10 min of inactivity:

Is the XRDP setting not working (the sesman.ini warned that IdleTimeLimit
needs xorgxrdp >v0.2.9, so I should be ok there)?

Is there a second place (e.g. in the Guacamole settings) that could cause a
session disconnect?

I hade a look in "Chaper 5 Configuring Guacamole", but couldn't find a timeout
setting except " _`api-session-timeout`_ ",

which I would not expect to apply to user sessions. Furthermore, the default
setting of 60 min wouldn't fit to the reported behaviour.

Has someone an idea where I should look (or otherwise how to "trick" the
connection to keep alive)?

Could a TCP load balancer in front of the Guacamole App servers cause a
similar effect?

Best regards,

Bernd

commands, e-mail: user-help@guacamole.apache.org

Re: RDP Idle Session Timeout

Posted by Ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Bernd,

I've no experience using Guacamole with XRDP per se, however I wonder it
could be affected by a screen saver/power saver that shuts the machine
to sleep after 10min? I've had situations before where people have set
this and then wondered why it stopped working...

You could also try setting a specific number (say 120) in
guacamole.properties for the session timeout to ensure it's not the issue.

Re: RDP Idle Session Timeout

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@glyptodon.com>.
On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 12:25 PM Bernd Hofner <bh...@hofner-informatik.de>
wrote:

> My expectation was, that an RDP session opened via Guacamole stays open
> "indefinetly".

Yes, that is the standard behavior. Guacamole will maintain connections
indefinitely unless they are otherwise disconnected. The current record at
my day job for leaving a connection to a work desktop running is 11 days.

Is the XRDP setting not working (the sesman.ini warned that IdleTimeLimit
> needs xorgxrdp >v0.2.9, so I should be ok there)?
> Is there a second place (e.g. in the Guacamole settings) that could cause
> a session disconnect?

No, if your users are consistently being disconnected after 10 minutes, the
cause must be external to Guacamole.

> I hade a look in "Chaper 5 Configuring Guacamole", but couldn't find a
> timeout setting except "*api-session-timeout*",
> which I would not expect to apply to user sessions. Furthermore, the
> default setting of 60 min wouldn't fit to the reported behaviour.

If by "user sessions" you mean "remote desktop sessions", you are correct.
The "api-session-timeout" property dictates how long a user will remain
logged into Guacamole if they are inactive. Guacamole considers being
connected to a remote desktop to be activity.

Could a TCP load balancer in front of the Guacamole App servers cause a
> similar effect?

Sure - it's conceivable that a balancer might not like long-running TCP
connections. I wouldn't expect this to be default behavior. I've only ever
encountered that sort of behavior with mobile networks, where the service
provider automatically terminates any TCP connections lasting longer than
10 or 15 minutes.

- Mike