Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> on 2003/12/02 20:06:36 UTC

deployment quirk in Tomcat5. Bug?

When deploying war files in Tomcat-5.0.16, I noticed something a little odd.
After using the ant manager deploy task and then doing an undeploy, manually
dropping the war file into CATALINA_HOME/webapps trigger auto-deployment.

For example, say I have "myapp.war".  I just drop this into Tomcat5's webapps
directory and it deploys the app as expected.  I can do an undeploy via the
html manager interface and it undeploys as expected.  I can repeat this ad-
infinitum and everything works fine.

Now, I deploy "myapp.war" via the ant manager deploy task and it deploys as
expected.  Then I undeploy it with the html manager interface.  Now I try
dropping the war file manually into webapps as explained above.  This time, the
war does not deploy.  If I restart Tomcat5, manual deployment works fine
again...until after the first time I use the ant manager deploy task, of course.

I can't imagine this is "expected behavior".  Well, at least I didn't expect
it.  Can anyone else confirm what exactly "expected behavior" is before I
report a bug on this?

Jake

Re: deployment quirk in Tomcat5. Bug?

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
At 12:02 AM 12/3/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Jacob Kjome wrote:
>>When deploying war files in Tomcat-5.0.16, I noticed something a little
>>odd.
>>After using the ant manager deploy task and then doing an undeploy,
>>manually dropping the war file into CATALINA_HOME/webapps trigger
>>auto-deployment.
>>For example, say I have "myapp.war".  I just drop this into Tomcat5's
>>webapps directory and it deploys the app as expected.  I can do an
>>undeploy via the html manager interface and it undeploys as expected.  I
>>can repeat this ad-
>>infinitum and everything works fine.
>>Now, I deploy "myapp.war" via the ant manager deploy task and it deploys
>>as expected.  Then I undeploy it with the html manager interface.  Now I
>>try dropping the war file manually into webapps as explained above.  This
>>time, the war does not deploy.  If I restart Tomcat5, manual deployment
>>works fine again...until after the first time I use the ant manager
>>deploy task, of course.
>>I can't imagine this is "expected behavior".  Well, at least I didn't
>>expect it.  Can anyone else confirm what exactly "expected behavior" is
>>before I report a bug on this?
>
>Don't bother: there's no use case for this, other than giving me a headache.

Which is why I posted the question here, Remy.  Seriously, take it easy.

>I don't find auto deploy very useful anyway, given that Tomcat doesn't
>have a fancy deployer like JBoss. It works much better when used in its
>simple scenario (you want to deploy or update a WAR) rather than more
>complex stuff, when you should really use the manager.
>For non development stuff, forget about the auto deployer, and use
>exclusively the manager.

me too.

>BTW, for updating a WAR with the auto deployer, you don't need to undeploy
>first with the manager, and then copy the WAR over again: simply overwrite
>the WAR and the webapp will be undeployed and then redeployed.

Thanks for the info.

Jake

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@jboss.org>.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Whoops...

" manually dropping the war file into CATALINA_HOME/webapps trigger auto-
deployment."

Should say...

" manually dropping the war file into CATALINA_HOME/webapps *won't* trigger
auto-deployment."

I believe it *should* continue to trigger auto-deployment where it doesn't
currently.

Jake