Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Z W <mp...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/20 06:43:44 UTC

automatic merge - quick question

Hi All

We like to perform frequent automatic svn merges between our trunk and
our branches but we don't have much experience with svn merging.
We read that Svnmerge.py could help but we weren't sure as we read
elsewhere that svn 1.6 does merges similar to Svnmerge.py, and so
Svnmerge.py should no longer be needed.
On the other hard, we also read that

svn merge
		Does per-file merging
		Does not block revisions, need to fake it
svnmerge.py
		No per-file merge tracking, only per revision
		svnmerge.py block and unblock supported

We are also not sure what that "blocking" feature does or what it means.

We like to include this automatic and frequent merging process as part
of our daily Hudson job.
So we arent sure which advice to take and need more help on how to
reach our final goal - automatic and frequent merging process as part
of our daily Hudson job.

We like to hear your advice and suggestions.

Thank you all.
Sincerely

Re: automatic merge - quick question

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.
Z W wrote on Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 22:43:44 -0700:
> We are also not sure what that "blocking" feature does or what it means.

It's the ability to make the distinction between "r42 has been merged,
do not try to merge it again" and "r42 has not been merged, but do not
offer to merge it".

> We like to include this automatic and frequent merging process as part
> of our daily Hudson job.
> So we arent sure which advice to take and need more help on how to
> reach our final goal - automatic and frequent merging process as part
> of our daily Hudson job.
>
> We like to hear your advice and suggestions.

Suggest you use 'svn merge' unless you have a reason (what is it?) not to.

Re: automatic merge - quick question

Posted by Michael Diers <md...@elego.de>.
On 2013-03-20 06:43, Z W wrote:
[...]
> We like to perform frequent automatic svn merges between our trunk and
> our branches but we don't have much experience with svn merging.
[...]
> We like to include this automatic and frequent merging process as part
> of our daily Hudson job.
[...]

You may wish to consider using Jigomerge[1] and its Hudson/Jenkins
plugin[2].

[1] http://code.google.com/p/jigomerge/

[2] https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Jigomerge+Plugin.

--