Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Kelly Campbell <ca...@pcisys.net> on 2000/06/28 06:56:32 UTC

build/runtime dependency tool (Was SVG Status)

I'd like to suggest using some kind of Config.xml file to specify the
dependencies required to build and run a particular tree. Ideally
this would be integrated with Ant, but it could also be a standalone
utility. This xml file should be included in the binary dist jar. A
tool similar to gnu autoconf could then read this xml file to resolve
dependencies and setup the classpath for building. I view this as
something similar to the linking and version information stored in
native shared libraries to allow resolution of dependencies at build
and runtime.

We have created such a system for our java build environment where I
work. Unfortunately I can't release this without managment approval.
It's also rather specialized to our development environment, but it
would be a good starting place. I'm willing to share what I've
learned on it, and help with this project if I can.

-Kelly

--
Kelly A. Campbell                       Software Engineer
<ca...@merlotxml.org>                    ChannelPoint, Inc.

Re: build/runtime dependency tool (Was SVG Status)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Kelly,

I'm sure Sam will be interested in hearing comments on this since he's
the man behind the unification effort.

Kelly Campbell wrote:

> I'd like to suggest using some kind of Config.xml file to specify the
> dependencies required to build and run a particular tree. Ideally
> this would be integrated with Ant, but it could also be a standalone
> utility. This xml file should be included in the binary dist jar. A
> tool similar to gnu autoconf could then read this xml file to resolve
> dependencies and setup the classpath for building. I view this as
> something similar to the linking and version information stored in
> native shared libraries to allow resolution of dependencies at build
> and runtime.
>
> We have created such a system for our java build environment where I
> work. Unfortunately I can't release this without managment approval.
> It's also rather specialized to our development environment, but it
> would be a good starting place. I'm willing to share what I've
> learned on it, and help with this project if I can.
>
> -Kelly
>

> >  > On the issue of bundling Xerces and Xalan, yes, FOP needs them, as it does
> >>  the Ant jars, but it also needs (or needed) XT, and Jimi, and... How much do
> >>  we bundle? At least in UNIX-land there is an implicit understanding that
> >>  things have dependencies and you rely on the user to make an effort to
> >>  satisfy them.
> >>
> >>  Consider the case of a very naive visitor to Apache XML. Maybe they don't
> >>  even have a JVM. Do we supply that? :-)
> >>
> >>  I'm not saying it's out of the question. But I'd rather see a different
> >>  approach. Possibly an installer script that the user can download first,
> >>  that checks for installed or not installed dependent distros. Ideas?
> >
> >This is an Apache-wide problem and Sam Ruby is trying to come up with a
> >solution for this that would allow _all_ projects to automate such
> >building and dependencies.
> >
> >I'm sure he'll have more to say himself...
> --
> Kelly A. Campbell                       Software Engineer
> <ca...@merlotxml.org>                    ChannelPoint, Inc.
> <ke...@channelpoint.com>       Colorado Springs, Co.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.