Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Kade Jeevan Kumar <je...@yahoo.com> on 2005/11/30 05:59:13 UTC

Clarifications on JSF Vs Struts-Shale

 Hi!

  while i was going through Struts Shale framework.

  I came up with few questions.

  We can go for directly to JSF instead of Struts-JSF using Struts-Shale framework it seems this approach is round around.

  By the way JSF is also a kind of framwork similar to Struts 1.x.
   Why need two frameworks?  We can achieve same with JSF.

  I think it will be costly process maintaining two frameworks.

  plz, clarify my question.

  -Thanks
  Jeevan

---------------------------------

Re: Clarifications on JSF Vs Struts-Shale

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 11/29/05, Kade Jeevan Kumar <je...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
>   while i was going through Struts Shale framework.
>
>   I came up with few questions.
>
>   We can go for directly to JSF instead of Struts-JSF using Struts-Shale
> framework it seems this approach is round around.
>
>   By the way JSF is also a kind of framwork similar to Struts 1.x.
>    Why need two frameworks?  We can achieve same with JSF.
>
>   I think it will be costly process maintaining two frameworks.

Costly for who?

If you are going to use JSF anyway, and if you're starting on a new project,
and if you have sufficient time to build up your expertise (if it is
lacking) ... by all means start with Shale.  If, on the other hand you have
*existing* Struts based applications and you want to leverage JSF
capabilities, use the integration library.  That can also apply to teams
that have existing Struts expertise and a short deadline (without enough
time to learn a new technology).

It is perfectly reasonable to provide different frameworks for different
requirements -- not everyone has the same needs, or the same schedule
pressures, or the same existing expertise.  Fortunately, open source
projects are not subject to the same economic constraints that closed source
projects are -- given sufficient developers willing to work on both (which
Struts is blessed with), there's no "costly process" to the Struts community
supporting both approaches.

For your own projects, pick the technologies that work best for you.  "Best"
is always relative to the particular situation, though ... in those cases,
isn't it nice to have multiple alternatives from a source you can trust?

  plz, clarify my question.

>   -Thanks
>   Jeevan

Craig