Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by Nicolas LE BAS <ma...@nlebas.net> on 2012/08/28 21:50:51 UTC

Re: Release of TREQ-16 (Was: [ANNOUNCE] Tiles Request 1.0.2 test build available)

On 12-08-27 10:22 AM, Mck wrote:
> But i'd like to release changes for TREQ-16
> I made the release for just tiles-request-mustache-1.1 thinking this was
> in consensus to the previous thread "versioning for
> tiles-request-mustache".

Yes, we don't need the version of mustache in the name.

> Apart from the release process going pear-shaped
>  - the version change in the pom and the subversion tag is 1.1 but in
> nexus everything is 1.0.1,
>  - `mvn release:perform` hangs at Cobertura Report with "Using private
> key: ..."
>
> i'm realising that releasing individual subprojects of tiles-request
> creates more headaches. For example what happens to
> tiles-request-mustache when all of tiles-request goes for the 1.1
> release?

I agree: I didn't try releasing individual subprojects, and I think we
shouldn't do it, mostly because of the need to support users.

In a corporate environment you can eventually go over to the user's
workplace and see everything for yourself, and there I'd be in favor of
small atomic releases. But here at apache we're basically supporting the
software by email, and I'd hate making the users check the version
numbers of two dozen libraries before we can help them... It is easier
to keep the version numbers synchronized IMHO.

> ps if the right thing is to stick to only releases of the whole
> tiles-request stack then i'm looking at an immediate 1.0.3 release if we
> can't rollback 1.0.2

Why 1.0.3 in this situation and not 1.1.0 as you mentioned earlier?

Nick

Re: Release of TREQ-16 (Was: [ANNOUNCE] Tiles Request 1.0.2 test build available)

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
Yes i completely agree with only supporting synchronised version
numbers.

> Why 1.0.3 in this situation and not 1.1.0 as you mentioned earlier?

If it were just tiles-request-mustache being released then i would go
for "1.1" as there are api changes to MustacheRenderer.

But as a release of the whole tiles-request then no api to tiles-request
changes, what was previously an api change in MustacheRenderer in this
context becomes a change to an tiles-request implementation. Hence
"1.0.3".

But i've no strong opinions either way on this one.

~mck

--
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

| http://github.com/finn-no | http://tech.finn.no |