Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Robert Campbell <rr...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/28 15:50:52 UTC

os_process_error, "OS process timed out."

I just added a large field to one of my documents. It's an array of
3,840 maps. The total structure clocks in at around 1.22MB.

I'm now getting {"error":"os_process_error","reason":"OS process timed
out."} whenever I try to read this document.

I'm surprised, because I previously attached 52MB of images to this
documents without encountering any issues.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this or ways to fix it?

Rob

Re: os_process_error, "OS process timed out."

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 28, 2010, at 7:38 AM, Robert Campbell wrote:

> I did increase the os_process_timeout in the Configurator from 5
> seconds to 20 seconds, but I need to really speed this up. Any
> suggestions or tricks? Perhaps changing the structure of the document?

The os process timeout should have no bearing on plain GET and PUT of large documents. It is when those documents are serialized and sent to the query server for map reduce, show, list, etc that the os process is involved.

I'll assume you are reading via a view.

1.2 MB seems large but not that large. If you post your JavaScript view code we can help you diagnose it.

Chris

Posted by Robert Campbell <rr...@gmail.com>.