Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com> on 2014/01/08 01:19:43 UTC

space in wiki for documentation of branches

Hi List,

I have added a new branch to the branches part of the repository. I
thought it would be a good idea to have a place in the wiki to document
what the branches are, what they intend to do and to have a central
place to document what's going on there. For the new branch, I thought
about documenting the state and ongoing work there, instead of adding a
file and checking it in to svn, that would be in the way when later
reintegrating the finished stuff.

Do we already have such pages/places (I looked for my aw080 branch, but
noting in the new confluence wiki) and if not, should we create a place
and add at least a descriptive page (which may contain just a short
description) for each branch?

If we want to do so, where could I add a first page for my new branch
and start to document it? Any suggestions?

Sincerely,
     Armin
--
ALG

Re: space in wiki for documentation of branches

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi,

Armin Le Grand schrieb:
> On 08.01.2014 07:50, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

>>> isnt that what we already have at
>>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Source_Code
>>>
>>> here we have branches/tags etc documented.

That contains some general information. There I would only add a link to
the page with more details about a specific branch.

>>> why should we make a new place ?
>> no need of course, just a problem to find the hidden secrets in our
>> nirvana ;-)

Without search engine everyone is lost.

There exist for example already the description of
/openoffice/branches/alg/aw080 on
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Aw080_documentation

>> Juergen
>
> Yes, thats why I am asking. I could not really find it, so a place in
> the confluence wiki would be better. I think this would fit perfectly
> somewhere in the development planning area so that everyone interested
> could find what is worked on and evtl. gets even motivated to step in.
> Isnt that the place people look at when they try to find out what is
> going on? I would be ready to document my existing branches in brief and
> extensively for new ones. An initial page per branch and maybe a short
> description would be enough as a minimum (maybe autogenerated when
> someone creates a branch in trunk, adding creation date and
> creator...just dreaming).

I would like to keep it in MWiki. Infos about AW080 is there and pages
of past, larger developments are also in Mwiki.

> In that form it may also give a preview of what may be coming to the
> next versions (without forcing it, it should be train model based). E.g.
> with accessibility when it would have been documented there it would be
> more clear where it comes from, evtl. how far it is progressed and if it
> will be in one of the next versions (e.g. include a single 'progress'
> percent number).
>
> Kay, I guess you are the one who could prepare a place for these (if we
> agree to do so)...?

The start page of MWiki has some outdated informations right top. Rework
there is necessary anyway. So I suggest putting a link list of actual
development activities there, put each content under a meaningfule title
in the MWiki, tag it with category Development, and trust the search
engines.

Kind regards
Regina

[..]

Re: space in wiki for documentation of branches

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
     Hi Juergen,

On 10.01.2014 01:29, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 1/9/14 10:56 PM, Armin Le Grand wrote:
>> On 09.01.2014 00:36, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>>> On 1/8/14 7:57 PM, jan i wrote:
>> -----------------------------8<-----------------------------
>>> exactly, we should use mediawiki whenever possible, we could move the
>>> content from confluence to mediawiki to make it even more clear.
>>> Important pages will be monitored and wrong or damaging changes can be
>>> corrected.
>> I have updated that page (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Source_Code)
>> now and added my current branches. How can I now add a link to a page
>> where I want to document the state and development of my branch
>> alg_writerframes? I do not want to do that in the list there, that will
>> be too much.

>>> it should be no must to document in detail but a short paragraph
>>> describing for what kind of work the branch in intended can help. And
>>> more documentation can help developers to organize their work or can
>>> help for collaboration to work with more people on the same branch.  But
>>> again it should be no must if people lose interest because of the
>>> documentation burden.
>> I think a short paragraph in the list on the page
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Source_Code will be fine and not too
>> much requirement to do for everyone. Maybe this could even be automated
>> when someone creates a link (just adding the link to it, the creation
>> date and the creator? Herbert, is that possible..?).
>>
>> I need the possibility to add an extra link there (probably assocciated
>> to some "more..." text or similar) which leads to an extra page with
>> extended documentation (I want to share info with another developer in a
>> central place - this is the Wiki from my POV). This should of course not
>> be mandatory, but possibe.
> create a new wiki page with the topic of your branch, for example the
> sidebar branch was related to the sidebar wiki page. And then you can
> simply insert a wiki link to this more descriptive wiki page.
>
> See also https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Help:Editing
> I find the wiki reference card useful
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Reference_card

Okay, I will try that today!

Thanks,
     Armin

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 9 January 2014 22:56, Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com> wrote:

> On 09.01.2014 00:36, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On 1/8/14 7:57 PM, jan i wrote:
>>
> -----------------------------8<-----------------------------
>
>> please be aware that cwiki is not nearly as visited as mwiki, so putting
>>> it
>>> in cwiki is a real good hiding place.
>>>
>> exactly, we should use mediawiki whenever possible, we could move the
>> content from confluence to mediawiki to make it even more clear.
>> Important pages will be monitored and wrong or damaging changes can be
>> corrected.
>>

> I have updated that page (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Source_Code)
> now and added my current branches. How can I now add a link to a page where
> I want to document the state and development of my branch alg_writerframes?
> I do not want to do that in the list there, that will be too much.

thanks, I agree we should hold this list relative short. How about putting
a link at the end of your line (documentation) .

>>>  In that form it may also give a preview of what may be coming to the

>>> around using branches. I would for sure remove capstone/l10n40 and keep
>>> it
>>> local instead if I have to document in cwiki.
>>>
>>> please remember the more documentation (in, at least to me, and unkown
>>> wiki
>>> language) makes it more likely that people considering a branch stop the
>>> idea.
>>>
>> it should be no must to document in detail but a short paragraph
>> describing for what kind of work the branch in intended can help. And
>> more documentation can help developers to organize their work or can
>> help for collaboration to work with more people on the same branch.  But
>> again it should be no must if people lose interest because of the
>> documentation burden.
>>

> I think a short paragraph in the list on the page
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Source_Code will be fine and not too
> much requirement to do for everyone. Maybe this could even be automated
> when someone creates a link (just adding the link to it, the creation date
> and the creator? Herbert, is that possible..?).

+1. The creator would be nice, We can change the layout to a table, that
would make it easy to fill out.

> I need the possibility to add an extra link there (probably assocciated to
> some "more..." text or similar) which leads to an extra page with extended
> documentation (I want to share info with another developer in a central
> place - this is the Wiki from my POV). This should of course not be
> mandatory, but possibe.

extra row in a table.

rgds
jan I.