Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/12/01 23:02:23 UTC

[VOTE] Confirm Shale 1.0.0 Test Build Release Plan

All of the outstanding issues have been accounted for -- it's time to
release the initial test build of Shale!  Given the amount of time since the
1.0.0 release plan was first proposed, I'd like to call for a vote
confirming it:

  http://wiki.apache.org/struts/ShaleRelease100

At this time, I would ask the PMC, committers, and other interested parties
to review the plan, and the state of the repository, and indicate your
acceptance of the plan in the usual way (+1, +0, -0, -1) along with
appropriate comments.

This vote will run from now (approximately 2pm Pacific time on Thursday,
12/01/2005) for 96 hours, until 2pm on Monday, 12/05/2005) -- four days
instead of three because of the weekend.  If the plan is accepted, I intend
to post the 1.0.0 build on Monday.

This is not a vote on the quality of the release itself.  I expect that this
release will not graduate beyond alpha quality (due in part to dependence on
an unreleased Standalone Tiles component, but also to correctly set
expectiations for API stability).

Here's my +1 to kick things off.

Craig

Re: [VOTE] Confirm Shale 1.0.0 Test Build Release Plan

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
+1. Looks like a plan to me.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by David Durham <dd...@vailsys.com>.
Craig McClanahan wrote:
> Call it a social experiment :-).  I'm continually amazed at how many people
> treat open source projects as a binary distribution, and never bother to go
> get the source.  Several commons packages, as well as Spring, do it this way
> ... I want to see if it encourages people to actually look.  (In addition,
> it makes life much easier when you're trying to use a debugger to have the
> source code for framework classes available.)

I certainly prefer to have the source code bundled along with the binaries.

As everyone on the list probably knows, Eclipse and other IDEs require the source code be "attached" to the libraries for certain features, such as in-line documentation and ctrl-clicking into source code.  So, explaining to a new person that they need to download the binary and the source can complicate things just a little bit.  Ideally, 3 downloads would be available: binary-only, source-only, and both binary and source.  Social experiments are cool, though.

FWIW,

-Dave

Re: [VOTE] Confirm Shale 1.0.0 Test Build Release Plan

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 12/2/05, Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> +1 for the plan, but with the following comment on the release plan
> dependencies:
>
> The release plan is showing Commons Validator 1.1.4 - but the
> website/build.xml has Validator 1.2.0. Also looking at the build.xml, the
> dependency download also includes three Commons components not mentioned
> on
> the website or in the release plan (Codec 1.2, Collections 3.0 and
> FileUpload 1.0).

The release plan is out of date in this regard ... we upgraded the validator
dependency  in the code, but I forgot to update the release plan.  The
actual build uses 1.2.

Wendy's comments on the other three components are accurate, but they should
be called out somewhere in the release plan template (since they are
actually included in the example app).  Need to figure out a strategy for
that.

One other thing about the actual build - I was wondering why just one
> "all-in-one" build rather than the usual source/binary distros?

Call it a social experiment :-).  I'm continually amazed at how many people
treat open source projects as a binary distribution, and never bother to go
get the source.  Several commons packages, as well as Spring, do it this way
... I want to see if it encourages people to actually look.  (In addition,
it makes life much easier when you're trying to use a debugger to have the
source code for framework classes available.)

Niall

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 12/2/05, Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Also looking at the build.xml, the
> dependency download also includes three Commons components not mentioned on
> the website or in the release plan (Codec 1.2, Collections 3.0 and
> FileUpload 1.0).

Those three are for MyFaces:
   http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Library_dependencies

So they're not required to build/use Shale itself, but they are in the
Use Cases app.

--
Wendy

Re: [VOTE] Confirm Shale 1.0.0 Test Build Release Plan

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
+1 (non-binding)

L.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding, "its about time" user vote)

-Rahul

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.