Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Samarendra Pratap <sa...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/29 12:51:07 UTC

Number of threads increased after restart

Hi,
 I restarted solr server with minor configuration changes and I/O and load
on server increased a lot.

Details:-
Solr version: 3.4
Jetty version: 6.1
Index Size: 30 GB
Total document: 14.6 mn
Request / second :20 (in day time)
Last restart: 15 days ago
Open threads: 50 - 60 (at any moment)

A few days back we had swapped the indexes through the url based parameter
(action=reload). Yesterday night we made two changes to the system.
 1. set 'persistent="true"' in solr.xml (this is now reverted back)
 2. created a "work" directory under the jetty home (as per
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-118)

 and restarted the jetty to let the changes take effect.

 Since the restart of yesterday the number of threads are crossing 100 many
times, leading to increased load on server. I made sure the correct core is
loaded and other configuration files are also fine. I am out of reasons to
explain this.

Any idea what could have happened? or how can I debug to optimize it?

Current jetty thread pool setting is
      <New class="org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool">
        <Set name="minThreads">10</Set>
        <Set name="maxThreads">10000</Set>
        <Set name="lowThreads">20</Set>
      </New>

Rate of requests is similar to other days.

Samar

Re: Number of threads increased after restart

Posted by Samarendra Pratap <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi
 Could there be any possibility of index being in unstable state when I
restarted the server?

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Samarendra Pratap <sa...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>  I restarted solr server with minor configuration changes and I/O and load
> on server increased a lot.
>
> Details:-
> Solr version: 3.4
> Jetty version: 6.1
> Index Size: 30 GB
> Total document: 14.6 mn
> Request / second :20 (in day time)
> Last restart: 15 days ago
> Open threads: 50 - 60 (at any moment)
>
> A few days back we had swapped the indexes through the url based parameter
> (action=reload). Yesterday night we made two changes to the system.
>  1. set 'persistent="true"' in solr.xml (this is now reverted back)
>  2. created a "work" directory under the jetty home (as per
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-118)
>
>  and restarted the jetty to let the changes take effect.
>
>  Since the restart of yesterday the number of threads are crossing 100
> many times, leading to increased load on server. I made sure the correct
> core is loaded and other configuration files are also fine. I am out of
> reasons to explain this.
>
> Any idea what could have happened? or how can I debug to optimize it?
>
> Current jetty thread pool setting is
>       <New class="org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool">
>         <Set name="minThreads">10</Set>
>         <Set name="maxThreads">10000</Set>
>         <Set name="lowThreads">20</Set>
>       </New>
>
> Rate of requests is similar to other days.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Samar

Samar