Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2012/03/26 20:17:06 UTC

Winding down 2.6.0

We're fast approaching 6 months since CXF 2.5.0 was released.   The
migration guide keeps getting longer and longer (requires scrolling down
now) which kind of shows we're getting enough 'stuff' to definitely warrant
a release.   Thus, I really think we should get the release out in a couple
weeks.

Last week, Glen, Sergey, and I went through every single CXF sample and made
sure they compiled and ran per the instructions in readme.   With over 40
samples, not a small undertaking.  :-)   We're also in the process of
checking all the extra examples that Talend has (and Glen has on his blog)
and getting things updated.   Part of the reason for all of this is to make
sure the release notes accurately describes any migration steps necessary,
but it also helps to ensure everything actually works, but examples still
make sense, etc...

In the next week or so, I plan to test more with Camel (there are some test
failures with 2.6.0, but they may be issues in the tests) and likely do a
bit more OSGi related testing.   The major change in 2.6.0 is the split of
the big bundle into the little bundles and updating the features.xml to use
the little bundles.    Definitely want to test that as thoroughly  as
possible.  I also want to check the distribution and "big bundle" things to
make sure everything that is required is included.   We do have a bunch of
new jars so they may need updating to make sure everything is pulled in.
There are likely some JIRA's I may look at as well.

Anyway, I wanted to toss this out to get an idea of anything else folks may
have on their plates to get in soon.   If everyone could take a look at any
JIRA"s they have assigned to themselves and such and update things, that
would be great.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: Winding down 2.6.0

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Just a quick update on the Camel side:

I ran the Camel tests and such with 2.6.0-SNAPSHOT without any "major"
issues.   I had to adjust some dependencies in Camel to account for things
marked optional and add the extra jaxrs providers, but once that was done,
the Camel code compiled and tested fine.

I ran into KARAF-1293 with the CXF features file and the Camel OSGi tests,
but I modified the CXF features file to work around that and then that
worked fine.   In any case, Camel is looking OK.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: Winding down 2.6.0

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
I think we could add more integration tests of OSGi to catch the new
bundle bugs.
I'm willing to help that in the next few weeks :)

--
Willem