Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "USHAKOV, Sergey" <s....@chemitech.ru> on 2011/05/03 07:01:51 UTC

Fw: M3-SNAPSHOT: mail queue management and debugging

Hi all,

sorry if double-posting, as I am not sure whether my mail comes through...

Being a newbie with JAMES, I have currently an instance of JAMES running in
test/semi-production mode.

Knowing for sure that some of the mails get occasionally "stuck" inside the
server, I have made an attempt to explore and manage the mail queues using
JConsole.

Under the branch "org.apache.james/component/queue/spool" I have found an
manageable object that showed several items being present in the queue. I
was able to browse them. I was also offered several ways to remove them, but
that did not fit my intentions :)

Having made severals stops and restarts of the server, I eventually managed
to reduce the number of the items in the queue from 26 to 2. With every
restart the "mailetcontainer.log" reported that some of the mails were
successfully delivered or sent out.

But it's beyond my understanding what are the remaining mails doing silently
in the "root" state in the queue. Why nothing is reflected by the logs? Why
some of them get delivered upon restart, while others stay there? Is there
any facility for not removing a mail item, but rather for re-activating its
processing by the spool manager, in case the mail is in some suspended
state? It is evident by the way, that the mails remaining are preventing new
mails from being processed, as having sent in one more mail, I see now 3
items in the queue...

Any ideas, as well as pointing to an appropriate manual, woulld be most
appreciated.

Regards,
Sergey

Re: Fw: M3-SNAPSHOT: mail queue management and debugging

Posted by "USHAKOV, Sergey" <s....@chemitech.ru>.
Hi Stefano, thanks for responding.

Could you kindly explain what a lock is with respect to mail (if anything
special), and if a matcher/mailet can lock a mail otherwise than by trivial
looping?

Thanks and best regards,
Sergey

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "USHAKOV, Sergey" <s....@chemitech.ru>.
Hi Norman, my answers are also inside...

> So after you remove the matcher you don'T see any messages "stuck" ?

Not exactly :) One message managed to escape, the remaining two are still
stuck, probably due to an exception thrown by my matcher. I let them stay in
this state while I'm refactoring the matcher, as I have taken all the useful
load off my JAMES for a while...

[...]
>> Answering your question about thread count. JMX reports 20 (the default
>> value).

>So 20 of 20 threads are in use when it stuck ? (Just tell me the two
>values displayed in JMX)

Sorry, not sure I understand which two values you mean :(
- JMX exhibits 20 for
org.apache.james/component/mailetcontainer/mailspooler/Attributes/ThreadCount
- JMX returns 20 for
org.apache.james/component/mailetcontainer/mailspooler/Operations/getThreadCount()
- "mailetcontainer.xml" has "20" as text content for
"mailetcontainer/spooler/threads" element

Are there any other JMX values to be checked?

Regards,
Sergey

> Regards,
> Sergey
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Norman Maurer"
> <no...@googlemail.com>

Bye,
Norman

Re: Fw: M3-SNAPSHOT: mail queue management and debugging

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

comments inside..

2011/5/4 USHAKOV, Sergey <s....@chemitech.ru>:
> Thank you Norman, the idea to do a "flush" did the job. Not immediately
> though, but after a restart.
>
> You are also right that at origin of the issue is somewhere in my matchers,
> as after restart I immediately got an exception in my new matcher.

So after you remove the matcher you don'T see any messages "stuck" ?

> There is no case for me immediately to make a check of replacing the
> "amq:connectionFactory", at least before I get rid of the exception(s) in
> the matcher. Still would you like me to make such a test later? Or maybe
> before? :)
>
> Answering your question about thread count. JMX reports 20 (the default
> value).

So 20 of 20 threads are in use when it stuck ? (Just tell me the two
values displayed in JMX)

> Regards,
> Sergey
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Norman Maurer"
> <no...@googlemail.com>

Bye,
Norman

Re: Fw: M3-SNAPSHOT: mail queue management and debugging

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi there,