Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nathan Bell <nb...@companioncorp.com> on 2002/03/01 23:06:42 UTC

IOException: HTTPS hostname wrong

I receive an "IOException: HTTPS hostname wrong" exception when using a
self-signed certificate for SSL connections. I know that this should
happen so to prevent bad people from fooling me, but I need to turn it
off for testing purposes. I have tryed to cicurmvent this feature using
HttpsURLConnection.setDefaultHostnameVerifier() to use a class that lets
every hostname be correct. Tomcat 4.0.1 seems to be ignoring this, and
using it's own HostnameVerifier instead. I would use 4.0.2 but there are
problems with it and my servlet getting along.
Is there a different way to get Tomcat to ignore incorrect hostnames? or
maybe I'm just doing it wrong?
I've included the code snippet that seems to hate me: It seems to work
perfect for certificates that have the correct hostname.

Security.addProvider(new com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider());
System.setProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs",
"com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.protocol");

System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.keyStore",keyStorePath1);
System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword",keyStorePassPhrase1);

if(!checkCertificates)
{
    System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStore",keyStorePath2);

System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword",keyStorePassPhrase2);

    HttpsURLConnection.setDefaultHostnameVerifier(
        new HostnameVerifier()
        {
            public boolean verify(String urlHostname, String certHostname)
                {
                    return true;
                }
        } );