Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de> on 2007/02/27 12:41:37 UTC

Problem with 2.0.6

upgraded to 2.0.6 - now the error below is thrown when accessing an Action
with validators.

dont know if it is important, but ajax-validation is enabled and the
annotation looks like this:

--- code ---
   @RequiredStringValidator(message = "Login is required", key
= "error.loginname.missing")
    public String getLogin() {
        return login;
    }
--- code ---

Exec[0]: validator.doPost()
Caught OgnlException while setting property 'methodName' on
type 'com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.validators.RequiredStringValidator'.
ognl.NoSuchPropertyException:
com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.validators.RequiredStringValidator.methodName
        at
ognl.ObjectPropertyAccessor.setProperty(ObjectPropertyAccessor.java:132)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.OgnlValueStack$ObjectAccessor.setProperty(OgnlValueStack.java:68)
        at ognl.OgnlRuntime.setProperty(OgnlRuntime.java:1656)
        at ognl.ASTProperty.setValueBody(ASTProperty.java:101)
        at ognl.SimpleNode.evaluateSetValueBody(SimpleNode.java:177)
        at ognl.SimpleNode.setValue(SimpleNode.java:246)
        at ognl.Ognl.setValue(Ognl.java:476)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.OgnlUtil.setValue(OgnlUtil.java:186)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.OgnlUtil.internalSetProperty(OgnlUtil.java:360)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.OgnlUtil.setProperties(OgnlUtil.java:76)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.OgnlUtil.setProperties(OgnlUtil.java:103)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.OgnlUtil.setProperties(OgnlUtil.java:90)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.ObjectFactory.buildValidator(ObjectFactory.java:234)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.ValidatorFactory.getValidator(ValidatorFactory.java:252)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.AnnotationActionValidatorManager.getValidators(AnnotationActionValidatorManager.java:79)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.AnnotationActionValidatorManager.validate(AnnotationActionValidatorManager.java:134)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.AnnotationActionValidatorManager.validate(AnnotationActionValidatorManager.java:109)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.AnnotationActionValidatorManager.validate(AnnotationActionValidatorManager.java:96)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.ValidationInterceptor.doBeforeInvocation(ValidationInterceptor.java:142)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.ValidationInterceptor.doIntercept(ValidationInterceptor.java:148)
        at
org.apache.struts2.interceptor.validation.AnnotationValidationInterceptor.doIntercept(AnnotationValidationInterceptor.java:48)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:86)
        at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:219)

Re: Problem with 2.0.6

Posted by Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de>.
Thanks for clearing this config option.
But the error does not go away with DevMode set to false.

Re: Problem with 2.0.6

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Problem with 2.0.6

Posted by Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de>.
Am Mittwoch, 28. Februar 2007 schrieb Ted Husted:
> Is DevMode set to false?

no, its set to true.

Re: Problem with 2.0.6

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Is DevMode set to false?

<struts>
  <constant name="struts.devMode" value="false" />
</struts>

-Ted.

HTH, Ted.
* http://www.husted.com/struts/

RE: Real time data display in a struts based application.

Posted by Jose Maria Alvarez Rodriguez <Jo...@fundacionctic.org>.
Hi!
 Well, I think that the your technical design requirement can be developed using Ajax technologies. In J2EE we have e.g. DWR, http://getahead.ltd.uk/dwr/, to use Ajax inside web applications, but the problem could be the comunication server-client because the request to update data in client tier is thrown from server, this issue causes the need of a listener to attend server requests, in http://ajaxpatterns.org/Patterns#Browser-Server_Dialogue you can find information about dialogue patterns between client and server, also Ajax Patterns web site is a good way to start with ajax tecnologies.

That`s all¡

Regards, Ch.

--
Jose María Alvarez Rodriguez
Departamento de I+D+I  -  Fundación CTIC

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Maya menon <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I really dont think we can download any of these
> external libraries.

I would highly recommend using a library.

If nothing else you'll want Prototype (or a variant,
like prototype-lite etc.) for writing the Javascript
if for no other reason than to avoid writing
cross-browser Javascript, which is just no fun.

d.

Re: Real time data display in a struts based application.

Posted by Maya menon <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Musachy,

  Yes, we use  struts 1.x, and I really dont think we can download any of these external libraries.

  So said so, I have to write javascript etc to achive these "AJAX timed events"..
  Any one has done it to achieve it ?

  I believe javascript,XML etc are needed.. any examples.

Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
  Oops...I can't help it, I always assume we are talking about S2. If you are
using S1, pick an ajax framework, most of them have a Div tag like the one
on S2. See Frank's email for details on one of them.

musachy

---------------------------------

Re: Real time data display in a struts based application.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maya menon <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Musachy for your response.
  We use Struts 1.x right now.. Guess we have to update..
  Please send me if yu have any examples/links..

Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
  You can refresh the page, but that would probably be annoying to the user,
not to mention that data entered on fields will most likely be lost. Using a

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
You can refresh the page, but that would probably be annoying to the user,
not to mention that data entered on fields will most likely be lost. Using a
div you can update just the part of the page that is important. Using the
div tag in struts:

<s:url id="ajaxTest" value="/AjaxTest.action" />

<s:div

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 2/28/07, Maya menon <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>   Also, my colleague asked me this question when I talked to him about a "timed AJAX event". Why cant we simply refresh the jsp page ? Why should we use AJAX ? so, whats the real advantage of using an AJAX timed event to a normal JSP/HTML refresh ?

You can. Ajax makes UI smoother and more user-friendly. Not to say
that less data is transferred.

Re: Real time data display in a struts based application.

Posted by Maya menon <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Ok, got the difference.

  Now being a new bie to AJAX, what are the best techiques that should be used to design a well designed web app ?

  Again, my page has to show the new data thats being added to database.

  Frank told about creating a "timed AJAX event". Where can I get more details regarding that ? Again will it be possible /scalable for 2000 concurrent users ?

  Thanks

Adam Ruggles <a....@gmail.com> wrote:
  The difference between using AJAX and just refreshing a page is a well
designed AJAX application sends over just the information that is
needed. For a JSP/HTML page refresh you're sending more data over the
line. The key here is a well designed AJAX application.

---------------------------------
Looking for earth-friendly autos?

Re: Real time data display in a struts based application.

Posted by Adam Ruggles <a....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maya menon <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you both for your responses.

  So AJAX is the technique I should refer. Anyone know of any examples / somethings.

  Also, my colleague asked me this question when I talked to him about a "timed AJAX event". Why cant we simply refresh the jsp page ? Why should we use AJAX ? so, whats the real advantage of using an AJAX timed event to a normal JSP/HTML refresh ?

  Maya

Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
  The div tag when used on the ajax theme, has a timer that will make it
refresh its content from the url specified in the "href" attribute, examples
available in showcase and here:

http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/ajax-tags.html

musachy

On 2/28/07, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

> Well, if you can live with not literally "pushing" to the client, this is
> the sort of application AJAX was made for. Have a timed event, every few
> seconds maybe, whatever your tolerable definition of "real time" is, that
> makes and AJAX request to check for new data and display it when found.
> Pretty easy.
>
> Have a peak at the AjaxParts Taglib (APT) in Java Web Parts (JWP):
>
> http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net
>
> http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net/javadocs/javawebparts/ajaxparts/taglib/package-summary.html
>
> The benefit is that it will allow you to do this, since it has a timed
> AJAX event function, and will save you from having to write any Javascript
> yourself (most likely).
>
> Whether you go with APT or not, AJAX is probably the first thing you want
> to look at.
>
> Frank
>

> --
> Frank W. Zammetti
> Founder and Chief Software Architect
> Omnytex Technologies
> http://www.omnytex.com
> AIM/Yahoo: fzammetti
> MSN: fzammetti@hotmail.com
> Author of "Practical Ajax Projects With Java Technology"
> (2006, Apress, ISBN 1-59059-695-1)
> Java Web Parts - http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net
> Supplying the wheel, so you don't have to reinvent it!
>
> On Wed, February 28, 2007 3:54 pm, Maya menon wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Have a design issue here. We have a web based application and have
> 2000
> > concurrent users. The requirement is: when new data comes on Oracle
> > database for users this data has to be sent to the online users on a
> > real time basis. Someway, the real time data needs to be pushed to the
> > users without the client doing a reload/refresh etc.
> >
> > What technologies can be used here ? Can anyone provide me some
> > suggestions ?
> >
> > The users login to the application using a web page, this is a web
> based
> > J2ee application using struts, Oracle database.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Maya

---------------------------------
Never Miss an Email

Re: Real time data display in a struts based application.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Re: [S2] Problem with 2.0.6

Posted by Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de>.
> I do.
> It looks vicious, but is pretty harmless.
> You could wipe it out of your logs by setting the class that throws it to
> only log ERROR and greater.

I will do it for development - but I hope this gets fixed. Exceptions are the
slowest parts in the jvm as far as I know. Performance cant be good if lots
of exceptions are thrown each time an action gets called ...

Re: [S2] Problem with 2.0.6

Posted by cilquirm <aa...@gmail.com>.
I do.

Re: [S2] Problem with 2.0.6