Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Andrey Somov <tr...@googlemail.com> on 2011/10/07 09:55:58 UTC

Git to SVN

Hi all,
the source code is now maintained in Git.
But what about SVN ? Does it stay ? Are the changes ported (back) to SVN ?

My problem is that I cannot use Git. In a corporate environment (with a
proxy and firewall) and in a mixture of operating systems Git works just
awful.
Despite of the help of my colleges (who use Git outside of our work
environment) I could not manage even to clone anything form a remote
repository.
If the changes are ported to SVN I can still follow the development.

-
Andrey

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2011, at 1:16 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>

>> On Oct 7, 2011, at 19:02 , Chris Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> It looks to me as though the commits aren't flowing into the github
>>> mirror, but if we get that turned back on, github at least offers tar
>>> ball downloads.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/
>>
>> The reasoning here is that this is an SVN mirror and SVN is currently not being written to. In the light that this is an experiment, we should probably wait to update the git mirror until we know we do not have to revert back to SVN.
>>
>> Robert Newson and I discussed this briefly on IRC and we'd like to suggest to make one more commit to SVN that explains the situation which then gets mirrored out so that user can see the new home. Any other suggestions are more than welcome, too :)
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jan
>> --
>
> I wouldn't mind hearing from Paul, but I'm not sure that nicety is worth the annoyance of having the r/o svn mirror repository diverge from the writeable one.  We spent quite a few cycles ensuring that the commit hashes are the same.  I guess we could always force-push later, but that's a rather nasty thing to do in its own right.  Regards,
>
> Adam

I agree with Adam. Though we should update the website to point at Git
now that I think about it.

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Andrey Somov <tr...@googlemail.com>.
I have finally solved the problem. Thanks to everyone.

(It was a very weird DNS configuration which does not resolve a name if SSH
is used. Once I started to use the IP address, I could connect to the
server)

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Andrey Somov <tr...@googlemail.com>.
> git-scm.org is your friend.
>

> Tried.

> there are the setting http.proxy to configure git with a proxy. You can
> apply it globally or per repository.
>
> Tried.

-
Andrey

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Friday, October 7, 2011, Andrey Somov <tr...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>The only platform I know of where git works less than brilliantly is
>>Windows, which ones are you struggling with?
> I think the picture is slightly different. On Windows, Git is just ugly
and
> awful, you have to install and configure a zillion of tools to get finally
> _incomplete_ support. I do not want to start a DVCS war here. It is not
the
> proper place. And I do not argue the decision to use Git for CouchDB. I
just
> want to get up-to-date sources.
> Yes, I tried Windows and I failed.

git-scm.org is your friend.

> The main platform is Ubuntu 11.04. Only here I can really run the etap
> tests.
> I am afraid the real problem is that the proxy setting is not respected
> somewhere. Because I _could_ clone the Git repository via an Eclipse
plugin
> (pure Java Git implementation) using Eclipse's proxy definition. But the
> quality of the Eclipse plugin is so low that I could not go any further.
> When I try the command line, Git fails to connect to the server. All the
> other applications work properly. Git is installed via the standard Ubuntu
> way.
>
> I even tryed the 'hg-git' to get the sources via Mercurial (because
> Mercurial works for me like a charm on both Ubuntu and Windows).
> Unfortunately, it also has the problems with proxy definition.
>
> I do not want to waste your time trying to solve it.
>
> I just want to know whether I can somehow get access to the latest source.
>
> -
> Andrey

there are the setting http.proxy to configure git with a proxy. You can
apply it globally or per repository.

benoit

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Andrey Somov <tr...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Could you describe your setup in more detail?

As far as I know the only public SVN access is over WebDAV on
http/https which is port 80/443. Both of these ports are supported by
the Git repository and should theoretically be allowed by all
firewalls. If you have a specific configuration that doesn't work
because it's Git on port 80 I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
err, I should say, our svn repo was on port 80 too, and so's the git
one. *confused*

B.

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Re: Git to SVN

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
the SVN repo is read-only at present in case we have to revert to it
for some reason, but otherwise there are no plans to update it.

The git repo is at: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb.git

If your firewall is blocking port 80 then try with https:// instead.

B.