Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com> on 2002/11/06 18:46:38 UTC

follow MX chains?

James 2.0a2 + SMTPHandler.java 2.1a1 08-18-2002
WinXP
jdk1.3.1_04

Hello,

I've been trying to use james to send an email to a user at WebTV.net and
get zero connection. James bounces the message with the "Could not connect
to SMTP host: smtpinvite.mx.webtv.net., port: 25" message. Nothing at all
shows up in the connections.log.....

I sent an email to the fine folks at WebTV regarding this and they asked....

[ Does your MTA normally follow MX chains? The longish answer is that we
have 2 MX records, and only allow a subset of traffic onto the first MX. We
do a TCP reset for the remainder; *most* of them then choose the second MX
and get in just fine.

What MTA software are you running? We have heard a rumor of something like
this, but have been unable to reproduce it. ]

Next Reply.....

[ Not honoring MX chains would be in very bad form. And probably violates
some RFCs.

I will be interested in hearing the reply. Can you run James in some sort of
debug mode, to verify that it doesn't try the next MX record?

The other possibility is that we can experiment with the type of
 "disconnect" smtpinvite.mx.webtv.net hands out. We have debated trying
other options; but again have not had a bona fide test case. For me to do
this, I will need to know the IP address your server presents to us. ]

Can anybody shed some light?
Regards,
JrC

Re: follow MX chains?

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
I'm by no means a DNS expert, but I'm not too sure if that chaining is
allowable.  How is a mail server supposed to prioritize these nested MX
records?  In the RFC in question (#974...
ftp://ftp.is.co.za/rfc/rfc974.txt), this is out of context, the only
sentence with the word "chain" in it says, "You cannot try to support
more extravagant mail routing by building a chain of MXs."

Really, I don't think logically this is correct to nest MX records.  If
I have...

MX - lokitech.com resolve to...

mail.lokitech.com    0 (CNAME)
mail2.lokitech.com  10 (CNAME)
mail3.lokitech.com  10 (MX)
mail4.lokitech.com  20 (CNAME)

and MX mail3.lokitech.com resolved to

mail5.lokitech.com 0
mail6.lokitech.com 10

where does mail2 and mail4 fall in order compared to mail5 and mail6.
I'm leery.

Isn't WebTV owned by Microsoft?  They certainly have a history of taking
liberties with RFCs. :)

--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com

Re: follow MX chains?

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
Danny,
I'm using...
2.0a2 with the SMTPHandler.java from 2.1a1-08-18-2002
if you want to know why FrankenJames, it's because of  Bug 12120 that hasn't
been fixed in any of the downloadable binaries.....I would really like to
use a newer version but can't make the pop3 server work

Please help......
Regards,
JrC

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.