Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Vladimir Melnik <v....@uplink.ua> on 2014/02/27 13:59:22 UTC

Snapshots on KVM host

Dear colleagues,

Today is the 3rd day I'm fighting this issue, so I any hints will be greatly
appreciated. :)

I'm deploying ACS-4.2.1 on a small setup of 9 servers: 1 manager, 2 storages
accessible via iSCSI and 6 hosts. All servers are running CentOS-6.5 with
all updates. Primary storages are accessible via multipathed iSCSI, the
filesystem is GFS2. The secondary storage is accessible via NFS and it works
okay (at least I can download an ISO-image and boot from it, so I assume it
works).

Everything is okay, but when I'm trying to take a snapshot of a volume, I'm
getting an error message after several munutes of "Snapshotting". And,
according to tcpdump between iSCSI-initiator and iSCSI-target, it really
does it. :) The "Snapshotting" phase goes okay, I even can see that snapshot
has been done (by "qemu-img info" or by "virsh snapshot-list"), but there is
no "Backing Up" phase after that. When it's supposed to copy the snapshot to
the secondary storage, it fails. That's what I see in cloudstack's logfile,
when it happens: http://pastebin.com/vfAVHm0B.

Okay, I'm going to the relevant host and looking in the libvirtd's logfile.
As it's pretty big, I'm pasting only contents between successful mounting
and unmounting of the secondary storage: http://pastebin.com/0FQKFKv9. And
what I really can't get is where are any error messages? I don't see any
attempts to run "qemu-img convert" that is supposed to be runned, I don't
see any attempts to do anything between "mount" and "umount". Maybe I should
watch more careful? When I'm mounting it manually (as root) and running
"qemu-img convert" (as root), it works fine and I can see the converted
QCOW2-image on my secondary storage after that. So I can't understand why
cloudstack can't do it and why I can't see any attempts to do it.

Please, help to find the root of the problem. Thank you so much!

--
With best regards, wishes and vibes :)
Vladimir Melnik

P.S. I also have a small lab with ACS-4.2.0, there are no issues with
snapshots in the lab.

RE: Snapshots on KVM host

Posted by Vladimir Melnik <v....@uplink.ua>.
Oh, thank you!

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

RE: Snapshots on KVM host

Posted by Vladimir Melnik <v....@uplink.ua>.
THANK. YOU. SO. MUCH!

:)

On 27.02.2014 12:59, Vladimir Melnik wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> Today is the 3rd day I'm fighting this issue, so I any hints will be
> greatly appreciated. :)

Hello Vladimir,

Check this
http://www.nux.ro/archive/2014/01/Taking_KVM_volume_snapshots_with_Cloudstack_4_2_on_CentOS_6_5.html