Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org> on 2017/12/03 04:07:41 UTC

NetBeans Website Conversion, Plan, and Call for Help

All,

I will try to keep this short as one can read details here https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/New+NetBeans+Web+Site+Planning <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/New+NetBeans+Web+Site+Planning>

I’m still working on the site planning page, but I think there is enough there to get started and have others chip in, and please feel free to add sections I’m missing, and feel free to ask any questions, and I or someone else will try to address them. I would also like to get a Kanban board setup for this, and will try to get that done soon. Please ask for more details on the plan page or let me know what else might be useful for us to organize.

Also, please fully read the docs here https://github.com/wadechandler/netbeans-static-site <https://github.com/wadechandler/netbeans-static-site> and if anything is missing or needs to be more clear, then please add an issue or send an email, and I will try to clear it up, and we can work through it.

There is a lot to do to convert the NetBeans website over to Apache. Beyond just the static content, we have these other dynamic aspects which I have yet to be able to devote any real thought.

I’m currently working on scripting the static content to fit the SSG, and that is a pretty big task, and I have more to do. Any help related to the areas I have not yet been able to touch is more than welcome.

You’ll notice the page says we're using the repository linked above for now, and that its only purpose is to cleanup the content, and shrink it, before moving it over to the incubator site repository; imagine how large that history will be if all the cruft is left in place. Anyways, it is definitely temporary, and then will be pushed to the Apache repository.

If there is an area anyone would like to jump in on, feel free to put your name beside an area in the Wiki and/or assign some issues to yourself. I’m taking Thur and Fri off through the end of the year, and plan to work diligently on the content conversion during that time, and hopefully narrow the plan more too.

Thank you much!

Wade

Re: NetBeans Website Conversion, Plan, and Call for Help

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
I will have to give more thoughts to the below Neil. Good stuff though.

Thanks

Wade

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

AW: NetBeans Website Conversion, Plan, and Call for Help

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Didn’t test the repo yet but I will, because I would like to be part of the refactoring of the page or rebuild etc. but I hope that we will use SCSS or LESS, because it will bring us a lot of benefits. If not I can make a PR to Change the infra from plain CSS to SCSS. But if it is already there, ignore this mail.

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
> On Dec 10, 2017, at 23:45, Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:
>

>> I am working on section names and scripting along with template names. This
>> also merges platform.nb.org in with the other bits; see it as a subfolder
>> now. You can see some I have looked at in the Jira story. As far as the
>> .html.gsp files go, I plan to covert all files to that with scripting, then
>> if we need the processing we will have it without having to rename files. I
>> am also looking at what to do with the .inc.html files. I figure those will
>> become pieces of templates (possibly).
>
> I think I did a small exercise with a .html.gsp file a while back and it got converted to an .html.html extension. Let me know after you've done the conversion if I can be of help.

The .html.gsp bits come from the fact that JBake doesn’t support any logic in a content page at the moment, but only in templates, and .html.gsp will be converted into a .html file by Gradle as it processes it with copy using expand (as a Groovy template), merging in the .html.gsp.yml file as the metadata/front matter, next, during the phase where JBake is called, it will then process the generated .html file accordingly. I should probably write this up better in the README.md file versus relying on the build script as code as much. I do have it documented some however in the section which explains the naming convention.

So, it works like this:

* If you have a file ending in .html.gsp, it will be processed by the Gradle build merging the metadata with it into a proper .html file understood directly by JBake
* If you have a file ending in .html, with an accompanying .yml file (same name + .yml), then it will be merged into a final .html file understood directly by JBake
* The same as above also applies to .md files (in both cases), which will hopefully allow us to write new content in MarkDown, such as articles and blog like posts (hopefully easier writing and reading)

>> The other heavy lifting with regard to content will be the CSS work and
>> flushing out the different templates for sections as well as their specific
>> page types; what they look like. For instance, certain sections have
>> different asides plus menu options such as PHP and Java tutorial sections;
>> if you browse around netbeans.org.
>
> I don't think we want to keep those asides. Maybe it's a good idea to have an aside pointing to different parts of an article (some sort of TOC), but not to other parts of the site.
>
> Maybe a global aside can be set up in some templates, pointing to different parts of a web section. All platform tutorials, for example, may have an aside pointing to different parts of the "platform tutorials web section”.

Yes, the idea is they would be globals, or at least in templates (the asides), but will be asides. However we want to do it though.

If you look at the Jira issue you referenced, you’ll see this comment https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-124?focusedCommentId=16285504&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16285504 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-124?focusedCommentId=16285504&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16285504> and it is a list of 74 possible “sections to have specialized templates” which could then have a special aside linking to specialized/relevant content. I’ve still to better understand JBake's tagging mechanism, but my understanding is those tags can be referenced in different ways http://jbake.org/docs/2.5.1/#tags <http://jbake.org/docs/2.5.1/#tags>, and we may be able to use tagged_documents, along with sorting out the ones with different types (specific types) if they have certain tags, so if we tag content, we can cause it to show up in an aside for a specific template once JBake has done its full rendering. This is an idea I think we can work towards, and of course we can work up those templates later.

The main point is if we have specialized templates for sections we know differ from that list, then we can always easily adjust those templates without having to also refactor the “type” in the metadata of each document. I’m counting on the content scraping script I’m working on to do that part for us. I just need to set it up to compare whether a given file lies under a specific sub-path, then associate the appropriate “type” for it, to allow us to 1) create them and 2) JBake to be able to link them up.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

El 11/12/17 a las 04:33, Wade Chandler escribió:
> Yes, see the Jira issues. One of them is related to scripting out the
> content and sections. The sections, we really just need to name, then we
> need templates for them. The scripted conversion doesn't need the templates
> done nor to be perfect to run however as we can improve those. But, we will
> want the conversion to take that into consideration; names, metadata, tags,
> etc along with pulling out page titles, desciptions, and keyword and such
> into the yaml.

AFAIK this is #124 currently assigned to Wade.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-124
Let me know when you need help on this.

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 5:50 AM Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Other than those, the other big ticket items such as supporting a plugin
> portal, update center XML, etc. I’m still not sure where that should really
> go. I do not think they should be in this main static sites repository
> though. I do think we can link to some place where build artifacts are
> placed for such things (maybe that can be the Maven repo, but not sure yet).

My thought was that we have a separate repository of .yml / .json files,
one for each plugin, along with optional image assets.  The meta-data
covers everything required to build the catalog and plugin pages.
Everything else is hosted elsewhere, on the basis that AFAIK we can't
distribute non-Apache-compatible binaries through Apache infra.  This makes
hosting binaries up to plugin authors, but there's enough options for that
(eg. anything on GitHub could use GitHub releases).

My thought is that this process, with plugins submitted via meta-data PR,
would keep the validation processes here rather than external.  There
should be a checksum included for the binary.  I can't recall whether
there's checksum validation of plugins in the IDE - if not, we should
consider adding that, so that the meta-data is tied to a particular plugin
file.

With that scenario, the plugin meta-data repo should definitely be external
to the main static sites repo.  Whether the actual catalog and plugin pages
are generated by a separate JBake build system, or whether commits to the
meta-data repo trigger a main site rebuild would be open to discussion.

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: NetBeans Website Conversion, Plan, and Call for Help

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
> On Dec 10, 2017, at 13:56, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 6:20 PM Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:
>
>> I imagine we'll have to go through all those "*.html" files (5504 to be
>> exact) and clean then up somehow.
>>

> As I said in the long email with questions for Wade, I still think doing
> this in one go, vs having a working static clone and going folder-by-folder
> / section-by-section is a better approach than trying to fix all the source
> *.html files now, but …

I will get to that one soon; sorry for the delay on it.

> I suggested pulling out the body tag, but an "easier" way might be to build
> it into the pre-processing stage where Wade's code is adding the yml data -
> it shouldn't require a parser for this!?

This is sort of the plan. The plan I am working on is to update the source documents with separate Gradle tasks and Groovy logic which we will take out after it outlives its use. I needed to get some base setup going such as a section and template list. I have narrowed it down to 74 different sections, and plan to set those up to share the same base logic, where they can then later be changed section by section, to support asides or what ever else is needed (maybe some special branding or anything else), but allow them to allow be the same at first.

Next, the Groovy scripting will iterate through the file hierarchy looking for sub-paths, and if those sub-paths are found, the associated type will be used in the output YAML. Along with that, jsoup will allow the keywords, description, and other metadata to be extracted from the HTML files, along with the body, to get us to some basics.

Following that, or along with it, then we will get into path sanitation for things like images as well as content sanitation such as removing CSS and other things which are not part of the main/global templates.

Then, I think we’ll be looking at cleanup along with seeing what URL redirection we can setup for Apache rules (httpd).

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 5:32 AM Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2017, at 15:13, Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:
> > So you're suggesting copying "src/content" to "build/bake" before the
> bake run, right? So we'll end up having the "baked" pages on top of the
> existing ones.

Possibly, but I was more thinking of using the same content tree.  One
thing I like about Jekyll is that it copies content without metadata as
is.  This means that a normal static site is a valid Jekyll site - the
files just get copied over without any processing.  One of my questions to
Wade was about making the build work like this.  It's a way of taking an
existing site and incrementally updating it.

> That would definitely work, but we'll have to clean-up copyrights et al.,
> as you say.

If necessary this could be done with string replacement.  I wonder if it's
that much of a problem if parts of the site are in transition?  It's still
better than we have now.

> Some of the problem here is platform.netbeans.org <
> http://platform.netbeans.org/>. Either way, to move that in to the site,
> will require what it will take now I believe; massaging the images and
> links. I think the rest could work (what Neil is suggesting). At the same
> time, I think we can move rather quickly on what we have now once we have
> the content processing, and is what I’m working on.

I was missing that some of platform.netbeans.org doesn't redirect.  But
still, if it's accurately spidered (or we just rehosted the existing static
files?) we shouldn't need to massage links.  This is all assuming we can
use all the same subdomains with Apache infra?

This is all with the thought that we could re-host and change front page,
etc. very quickly - it's all dependent on how far away what you've got is
from being able to host all pages?  I've got it building and been looking
around, but definitely not in a position to judge that!

> > I think string matching could probably work. I'll find out.
>
> This I’m going to use jsoup. It works great for parsing out HTML, and then
> being able to grab the text of what you want with no string comparisons
> etc; way nicer,

String matching was only for a quick, dirty and efficient stopgap for body
stripping.  Anything more complicated and yes, definitely, a real parser
like jsoup!

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: NetBeans Website Conversion, Plan, and Call for Help

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
On Dec 10, 2017, at 15:13, Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> El 10/12/17 a las 20:44, Neil C Smith escribió:
>> Hi,
>> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 7:34 PM Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:
>>> I was suggesting a one-pass tool to reach the "working static clone"
>>> state (we're not there yet). Using plain Foundation CSS (not SCSS) is
>>> good enough, IMHO, to reach this "working static clone" state.
>>>

>> I think you misunderstand me - by working static clone, I mean spidering
>> the current live site, not working from the source HTML.  This is then
>> entirely hostable.  With a few tweaks to key files, such as front page and
>> about, etc. , perhaps replacing logo file, we could then start working
>> through the site section by section while it is hosted at Apache.
>> Otherwise we can't easily get the front page up before everything is ready.
>
> Of course I did.
>
> So you're suggesting copying "src/content" to "build/bake" before the bake run, right? So we'll end up having the "baked" pages on top of the existing ones.
>
> That would definitely work, but we'll have to clean-up copyrights et al., as you say.
>
> I thought this solution was discussed and discarded.

Some of the problem here is platform.netbeans.org <http://platform.netbeans.org/>. Either way, to move that in to the site, will require what it will take now I believe; massaging the images and links. I think the rest could work (what Neil is suggesting). At the same time, I think we can move rather quickly on what we have now once we have the content processing, and is what I’m working on.

I think some of those other big ticket items will be needed right off the bat though too, such as the Downloads section, and too, figuring out what to do with ns, dtds, updates, etc. I’m also wondering if we want samples to be done the same way.

>>> I was hoping that "${content.body}" in the YAML companions would do
>>> exactly that, so in our "page.gsp" template we could add just the body
>>> of the original page, but we're getting the whole HTML content, and so
>>> we end up with nested HTML.
>>>
>> I was thinking of a variant of mergeContentAndMetadata (from
>> buildSrc/src/main/groovy/Utils.groovy) that rather than writing the entire
>> text from the file, writes the section between the body tags - assuming
>> well-formed input, string matching <body> and </body> should work fine?
>
> I think string matching could probably work. I'll find out.

This I’m going to use jsoup. It works great for parsing out HTML, and then being able to grab the text of what you want with no string comparisons etc; way nicer, and works like a charm regardless of tag and quote oddities. I’m also working to grab the keywords, description, and other items, which we can then work into the templates to further customize each article and page to match an authors intent going forward and the previous authors (probably mostly Gj).

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

El 10/12/17 a las 20:44, Neil C Smith escribió:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 7:34 PM Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:
>
>> I was suggesting a one-pass tool to reach the "working static clone"
>> state (we're not there yet). Using plain Foundation CSS (not SCSS) is
>> good enough, IMHO, to reach this "working static clone" state.
>>

> I think you misunderstand me - by working static clone, I mean spidering
> the current live site, not working from the source HTML.  This is then
> entirely hostable.  With a few tweaks to key files, such as front page and
> about, etc. , perhaps replacing logo file, we could then start working
> through the site section by section while it is hosted at Apache.
> Otherwise we can't easily get the front page up before everything is ready.

Of course I did.

So you're suggesting copying "src/content" to "build/bake" before the
bake run, right? So we'll end up having the "baked" pages on top of the
existing ones.

That would definitely work, but we'll have to clean-up copyrights et
al., as you say.

I thought this solution was discussed and discarded.

>> I was hoping that "${content.body}" in the YAML companions would do
>> exactly that, so in our "page.gsp" template we could add just the body
>> of the original page, but we're getting the whole HTML content, and so
>> we end up with nested HTML.
>>

> I was thinking of a variant of mergeContentAndMetadata (from
> buildSrc/src/main/groovy/Utils.groovy) that rather than writing the entire
> text from the file, writes the section between the body tags - assuming
> well-formed input, string matching <body> and </body> should work fine?

I think string matching could probably work. I'll find out.

Kind regards,
Antonio

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

El 10/12/17 a las 19:56, Neil C Smith escribió:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 6:20 PM Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:
>
>> I imagine we'll have to go through all those "*.html" files (5504 to be
>> exact) and clean then up somehow.
>>

> As I said in the long email with questions for Wade, I still think doing
> this in one go, vs having a working static clone and going folder-by-folder
> / section-by-section is a better approach than trying to fix all the source
> *.html files now, but ...

I was suggesting a one-pass tool to reach the "working static clone"
state (we're not there yet). Using plain Foundation CSS (not SCSS) is
good enough, IMHO, to reach this "working static clone" state.

After we reach the "working static clone" I'm afraid we'll have to go
folder-by-folder/section-by-section/page-by-page anyway. That's the
phase were we may want to fine-tune SCSS and other aspects (integration
with Twitter, Facebook, 301 redirections, our blog, atom feeds, etc.).

> I suggested pulling out the body tag, but an "easier" way might be to build
> it into the pre-processing stage where Wade's code is adding the yml data -
> it shouldn't require a parser for this!?

I was hoping that "${content.body}" in the YAML companions would do
exactly that, so in our "page.gsp" template we could add just the body
of the original page, but we're getting the whole HTML content, and so
we end up with nested HTML.

It seems Wade has been working on this for a while, so let's see what
the results are.

> +1 for the conversion to asciidoc idea, although I still think later and
> section-by-section
Ok.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

----

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Do you mean

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
On Dec 10, 2017, at 12:29, Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> Hi Geertjan,
>
> What's this "the Java SE Quick Start Guide" link you're talking about? I'm unable to find it.
>
> Thanks,
> Antonio
>
> El 08/12/17 a las 17:59, Geertjan Wielenga escribió:
>>> …

Gj,

You may not have pushed that from your repo. You should check to see.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Geertjan,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi all,

So I have some time to spend here, and I was thinking it would be a
great idea to explain what I understand so you can tell me if I'm
understanding things right. Please see the small image attached

 From the WIKI and Wade's repository what I understand is that we'll be

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wade,

I tried out your site a while back and when I ran it I could only
see/access the front page with redirects to the old site it seemed,
even though I could see the extra content.  Antonio had the same issue and
managed to post about it before I did:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b30424df0717d17c0c060535a84e6d8037b18ace2c5e5c19dc3fb9f0@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

Is there something we're missing?

John

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
I imagine we should be able to some how move some of the old wiki bits to
Confluence with scripting. Please feel free to add a section and some jira
issues, and to take on some attempt at it. We probably also want to figure
out which wiki pages are now to become part of the static site; I figure
the dev and user FAQs may go to the static site.

Thanks

Wade

On Dec 3, 2017 13:08, "Ivan Soleimanipour" <iv...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

Wade, I see no mention of the Wiki

Re: NetBeans Website Conversion, Plan, and Call for Help

Posted by Ivan Soleimanipour <iv...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Here's how to get started working on the website:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/JBake-based+solution

The above is something Wade and I put together when I met up with him in
Atlanta a few months ago.

Yes, the website is the newly designed front page with links pointing to
netbeans.org. But that's not the point.

The point is to work on the headers and footers and other generic features,
i.e., all the things that were done via PHP scripting in the past in Sun
and Oracle. These are now handled via Wade's proposed JBake solution. See
the 'Exploring' section on the page to get started with that:

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Oh, that's fast!