Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by drsnyder <sp...@dsnyder.com> on 2010/03/05 01:46:41 UTC

MessageQueueServlet and Topic Subscription Buildup?

I am using the MessageQueueServlet and after a while, the broker is becoming
non-responsive (no errors in the logs, but cpu spins up to 100%)When looking
at the mbeans, I noticed that a new topic subscription shows up for *every*
request under:

Subscription->Non-Durable->Topic->topic_//ActiveMQ.Advisory.TempQueue_topic_//ActiveMQ.Advisory.TempTopic

In addition, I am warnings in the logs for every message posted like this:

WARN  BrokerRegistry                 - Broker localhost not started so using
skaro instead

In context:

DEBUG log                            - servlet holder=MessageQueueServlet
DEBUG log                            - call filter session
DEBUG log                            - call servlet MessageQueueServlet
DEBUG MessageServletSupport          - destination
uri=edw.report.edw.report.loadtest
DEBUG MessageServletSupport          -
edw.report.edw.report.loadtest?consumer.prefetchSize=1 (queue)
WARN  BrokerRegistry                 - Broker localhost not started so using
skaro instead
DEBUG TransportConnection            - Setting up new connection:
vm://localhost#1998
DEBUG AbstractRegion                 - Adding consumer:
ID:skaro-33505-1267748807277-2:999:-1:1

I have changed all references in all configs to reference "skaro" and not
localhost, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

Could these be related?  Is the topic subscription build-up something to be
concerned about?  It looks to me like the MessageQueueServlet may be setting
up a new vm://localhost connection every time and maybe that triggers the
advisory subscription.  Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help,
David Snyder

Posted by drsnyder <sp...@dsnyder.com>.
Thanks for the link, Dejan

We are not consuming messages via REST, but It appears sessions must be
maintained for producing messages as well.  I think the behavior I was
seeing is a new session was being created for every request, and presumably
a new connection, which was causing the heap to fill up.  After a little
digging in the source code, I discovered I could force it to use the same
session by sending a "?clientId=somevalue" parameter with the request and
just validated that solved the problem.

Thanks again for your help,
Dave Snyder

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.