Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Sahil Sharma D <sa...@ericsson.com.INVALID> on 2023/05/02 08:46:21 UTC

CVEs related to Kafka

Hi team,

We have got below two vulnerabilities on Kafka 3PP.

CVE-2022-42003<https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2022-42003>
In FasterXML jackson-databind before 2.14.0-rc1, resource exhaustion can occur because of a lack of a check in primitive value deserializers to avoid deep wrapper array nesting, when the UNWRAP_SINGLE_VALUE_ARRAYS feature is enabled. Additional fix version in 2.13.4.1 and 2.12.17.1

CVE-2022-42004<https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2022-42004>
In FasterXML jackson-databind before 2.13.4, resource exhaustion can occur because of a lack of a check in BeanDeserializer._deserializeFromArray to prevent use of deeply nested arrays. An application is vulnerable only with certain customized choices for deserialization.

Is 3PP is using the impacted functionality and in which version of Kafka these will be fixed?

Regards,
Sahil

RE: CVEs related to Kafka

Posted by Sahil Sharma D <sa...@ericsson.com.INVALID>.
Hi Luke,

Please find my queries inline:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-14107 [Sahil: As mentioned in this ticket CVE-2022-2048 and CVE-2022-2047 were fixed in versions 2.8.2, 3.3.0, 3.0.2, 3.1.2, 3.2.3. We are using Kafka version 3.3.1 and still we are getting these CVEs]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-14256 [Sahil: There is no CVE mentioned in this ticket, can you please share which CVEs had been resolved in this ticket.
						         [As per ticket this " KAFKA-14256" this is solved in 3.4.0 however it is not mentioned ion Release Note of v3.4.0 ]

Regards.
Sahil

Posted by Sahil Sharma D <sa...@ericsson.com.INVALID>.
Hi Team,

We are using only kafka-client jar, binary and config files in our product however below CVEs are on scala, jakson-databind and Jetty jars, bundled in Apache Kafka.

CVE-2022-36944 ---> Scala
CVE-2022-42003 ---> FasterXML jackson-databind
CVE-2022-42004 ---> FasterXML jackson-databind
CVE-2023-26048 ---> jetty-server
CVE-2023-26049 ---> jetty-server

Can you please let us know if the impacted jars (scala, jakson-databind and Jetty) are internally used by kafka-client, binary or config files or since we are using only kafka-client jar hence not impacted due to these vulnerabilities.

Regards
Sahil

Re: CVEs related to Kafka

Posted by Luke Chen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sahil,

RE: CVEs related to Kafka

Posted by Sahil Sharma D <sa...@ericsson.com.INVALID>.
Hi team,

From: Sahil Sharma D <sa...@ericsson.com.INVALID>
Date: Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 12:40 PM
To: users@kafka.apache.org <us...@kafka.apache.org>

CVE-2023-26049<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2023-26049__;!!K_cMf-SQz-o!dVr1QtyQ4T63P401cAOMN0HLlWf5PlvvulL4LX7JGrbK8mSYbhhN6Snv5XQ7NzMg6wcdPjVpi6k_LPbS9gMBugc0ucxXd2_9K3-reco$ > Jetty is a java based web server and servlet engine. Nonstandard cookie parsing in Jetty may allow an attacker to smuggle cookies within other cookies, or otherwise perform unintended behavior by tampering with the cookie parsing mechanism. If Jetty sees a cookie VALUE that starts with `"` (double quote), it will continue to read the cookie string until it sees a closing quote -- even if a semicolon is encountered. So, a cookie header such as: `DISPLAY_LANGUAGE="b; JSESSIONID=1337; c=d"` will be parsed as one cookie, with the name DISPLAY_LANGUAGE and a value of b; JSESSIONID=1337; c=d instead of 3 separate cookies. This has security implications because if, say, JSESSIONID is an HttpOnly cookie, and the DISPLAY_LANGUAGE cookie value is rendered on the page, an attacker can smuggle the JSESSIONID cookie into the DISPLAY_LANGUAGE cookie and thereby exfiltrate it. This is significant when an intermediary is enacting some policy based on cookies, so a smuggled cookie can bypass that policy yet still be seen by the Jetty server or its logging system. This issue has been addressed in versions 9.4.51, 10.0.14, 11.0.14, and 12.0.0.beta0 and users are advised to upgrade. There are no known workarounds for this issue.

Re: CVEs related to Kafka

Posted by "Tauzell, Dave" <Da...@surescripts.com>.
Consider purchasing support from Confluent to get this sort of request answered quickly.

From: Sahil Sharma D <sa...@ericsson.com.INVALID>
Date: Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 12:40 PM
To: users@kafka.apache.org <us...@kafka.apache.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] RE: CVEs related to Kafka
Gentle reminder-2 !

RE: CVEs related to Kafka

Posted by Sahil Sharma D <sa...@ericsson.com.INVALID>.
Gentle reminder-2 !

We have found few more Vulnerabilities on Kafka, below are the list:

CVE-2022-36944<https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2022-36944>

CVE-2023-26048<https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2023-26048>

CVE-2023-26049<https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2023-26049>

RE: CVEs related to Kafka