Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Anita Kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> on 2007/12/06 16:04:33 UTC

Uninstalling an application

    I installed a plugin using 'plugins' portlet in the admin console.
It worked as expected. After the plugin is uninstalled it leaves its
dependent cars and ears behind. I have tried it from both command line
and console. Next time I install the plugin using 'plugins' I get old
dependencies. I have to hand delete the stuff from G/repository and
edit config.xml to install it correctly. Is there a better way to do
this?

Thanks
Anita

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Re: Uninstalling an application

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Anita Kulshreshtha wrote:
> --- Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> Anita Kulshreshtha wrote:
>> I'm not sure why you would have to edit config.xml.  You should be
>> able
>> to uninstall the dependencies manually via command line or the
>> console
>> without the need to modify config.xml manually.  The catch is that
>> you
>> need to know what those dependencies are that were installed as a
>> result
>> of your deployment.
>>
>> At the moment there is nothing to remove the dependencies.  In order
>> be able to remove dependencies that were installed we would need to
>> keep
>> some use counts or something similar.  We had discussed this a while
>> back with some proposals ... but at the moment nothing is
>> implemented.
>>
>> Joe
>>

>      I was using mrc-server-car. it installs mrc-ds-car and an ear.
> IIRC, After uninstalling mrc-server-car, shutdown and hand deleting
> mrc-ds-car, ear from G/repository, the mrc-ds-car was left in
> config.xml. The server could not be restarted.

Why not just uninstall all 3 using the command line or web console so
that you don't have to manually delete or edit the config.xml?

Joe

Re: Uninstalling an application

Posted by Anita Kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Anita Kulshreshtha wrote:
>     I installed a plugin using 'plugins' portlet in the admin console.
> It worked as expected. After the plugin is uninstalled it leaves its
> dependent cars and ears behind. I have tried it from both command line
> and console. Next time I install the plugin using 'plugins' I get old
> dependencies. I have to hand delete the stuff from G/repository and
> edit config.xml to install it correctly. Is there a better way to do
> this?

I'm not sure why you would have to edit config.xml.  You should be able
to uninstall the dependencies manually via command line or the console
without the need to modify config.xml manually.  The catch is that you
need to know what those dependencies are that were installed as a result
of your deployment.

At the moment there is nothing to remove the dependencies.  In order to

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
I have noticed this irksome behavior too. AFAIK, there isn't a better
way. For now, this is a gaping hole in our plugin design.

Seems like when a plugin is uninstalled, we'll have to uninstall all
the child components recursively.

Cheers
Prasad