Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Karthik Abram <ka...@neovera.com> on 2005/05/31 16:00:20 UTC

Apache mailing list leading to SPAM

I was appalled to find out that the apache archives don't remove email
addresses when exposing them over the web. Ever since I joined this mailng
list, I've started getting tons of junk mail. Does anyone know whom to
contact to rectify this?

ThreadLocal example pleeeeease!

Posted by sa...@women-at-work.org.
Could anyone of you post a quick example how to correctly
use ThreadLocal within a Tapestry page and a Tapestry component?

My global object currently is a map of group data and the key is the group
key. Different page getter methods need parameters that is derived from the
group data .....

E.g. administrator is on:

admin.domain.com

moderators on moderators.domain.com

users on www.domain.com

guests on guests.domain.com

a method that is called getMenuOptions should retrieve the menu options.

The menu can contain 4 different kinds of data. So it is all in a global map
and the database is only queried once.

But this leads to having to parse the map all the time
the method getMenuOptions or any other method that will indirectly call it,
is called.

and I want to sort of shift it into some sort of local variables to be able
to directly access it.

Is that possible using ThreadLocal ? If so, how ?

Thank you!

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> But again, consider the services that tap into the lists by
> subscribing to it rather than using the archives.  Your e-mail
> address will end up elsewhere regardless of what happens on the
> Apache side of things.

True, but from my objectstyle.org sysadmin experience I only identified a
single subscriber email address that was a likely spam bot in the past 3-4
years, while there is like a dozen of different spam bots scanning the web
site daily.

So empirical evidence suggests that spammers normally don't go into
trouble of manually subscribing their bot... This maybe different for more
high-traffic apache lists... Still I think protecting the archives is a
simple step a sysadmin must implement. This is kind of like not running an
open relay - it doesn't solve the global spam problem, but is still a
sensible thing to do for your user community.

Andrus

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On May 31, 2005, at 10:23 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

>> Consider that the e-mail lists are public and that there are many
>> services that tap into the archives to allow viewing/searching them.
>> Services could also simply subscribe to the lists and harvest
>> messages that way as well.
>>
>> Hiding your e-mail address to avoid spam is like not publishing your
>> IP address to avoid security vulnerabilities.  Security through
>> obscurity doesn't work (for long).
>>
>>      Erik
>>

> I disagree. Filtering archive emails through a simple script along the
> lines of "s/.@.//g" goes a long way in preventing spam. I am doing
> it on
> all objectstyle.org mailing lists (cayenne, woproject), and it didn't
> cause any inconveneince so far... It is not security through
> obscurity, it
> is just a simple and practical solution.

But again, consider the services that tap into the lists by
subscribing to it rather than using the archives.  Your e-mail
address will end up elsewhere regardless of what happens on the
Apache side of things.  Right?

     Erik

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> Consider that the e-mail lists are public and that there are many
> services that tap into the archives to allow viewing/searching them.
> Services could also simply subscribe to the lists and harvest
> messages that way as well.
>
> Hiding your e-mail address to avoid spam is like not publishing your
> IP address to avoid security vulnerabilities.  Security through
> obscurity doesn't work (for long).
>
>      Erik

I disagree. Filtering archive emails through a simple script along the
lines of "s/.@.//g" goes a long way in preventing spam. I am doing it on
all objectstyle.org mailing lists (cayenne, woproject), and it didn't
cause any inconveneince so far... It is not security through obscurity, it
is just a simple and practical solution.

Cheers,
Andrus

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On May 31, 2005, at 10:00 AM, Karthik Abram wrote:

> I was appalled to find out that the apache archives don't remove email
> addresses when exposing them over the web. Ever since I joined this
> mailng
> list, I've started getting tons of junk mail. Does anyone know whom to
> contact to rectify this?

You're welcome to bring this up on the infrastructure@apache.org e-
mail list, but it is unlikely to change from how it is.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

> I was appalled to find out that the apache archives don't remove email
> addresses when exposing them over the web. Ever since I joined this
> mailng list, I've started getting tons of junk mail. Does anyone know
> whom to contact to rectify this?

I brought this up a year or two ago on jakarta-general with no positive
response (responses were along the lines of "everything works as it
should", and such)... Oh well, back to upgrading my spam filters...

Andrus