Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Steffen Moser <li...@steffen-moser.de> on 2018/02/07 09:42:44 UTC

Guacamole 0.9.14, RDP, Accent Symbols on German Keyboard Layout

Hi all,

we use Guacamole 0.9.14 on Tomcat 8.5.23 (shipped with Solaris 11.3
SRU 28). Our users connect to a Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS server running "xrdp
0.9.0+master-1" which opens a "sesman-Xvnc" session, i.e. we use the
following tool chain: Firefox/Chrome -> Guacamole Client 0.9.14 ->
Guacamole Server 0.9.14 -> XRDP 0.9.0 -> TigerVNC 1.6.80 -> X11/Ubuntu
16.04.3 LTS Linux.

Some other users connect to a Windows Server 2016 via the same Guacamole
setup.

As my users typically want to use German Umlauts in their remote
sessions, we run everything in a German keyboard environment. This
means: In Guacamole's (LDAP-based) configuration, I've set:

  server layout=de-de-qwertz

for the Linux and the Windows connection.

Everything works well except for the French accents: Acute accent (´),
grave accent (`) and circumflex accent (^) are non-functional, pressing
the keys doesn't generate a symbol on the remote host. Even pressing
them twice (or pressing them before pressing a vowel key) doesn't work.
It also doesn't matter whether the user's operating system is configured
with enabled dead key behavior or not.

Unfortunately, my students need especially the circumflex accent (^)
quite regularly when working in Matlab and Octave scripts where the
symbol is used for the matrix power operation. Currently they have to
use virtual keyboards or have to copy the symbol via clipboard which
irritates users.

When using a native RDP client (Microsoft Remote Desktop) in Windows or
macOS, the problem does not occur, neither with our Linux XRDP remote
host nor with our Windows Server remote host. All accent keys work
completely fine when accessing from Microsoft's RDP client. For this
reason, I am on the one hand quite sure it's related to Guacamole.

On the other hand, the keyboard test in Guacamole seems to recognize the
keys correctly:

Guacamole.Keyboard tester	version 1.4 (0.9.9)	Mike Jumper
Please press some keys...

guacamole	keydown	0x5e	U+005E CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT
guacamole	keyup	0x5e	U+005E CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT

guacamole	keydown	0xe9	U+00E9 LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE
guacamole	keyup	0xe9	U+00E9 LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE

guacamole	keydown	0xffe2	Right shift
guacamole	keyup	0xffe2	Right shift
guacamole	keydown	0xe8	U+00E8 LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH GRAVE
guacamole	keyup	0xe8	U+00E8 LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH GRAVE

guacamole	keydown	0x5e	U+005E CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT
guacamole	keyup	0x5e	U+005E CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT

guacamole	keydown	0xea	U+00EA LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH CIRCUMFLEX
guacamole	keyup	0xea	U+00EA LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH CIRCUMFLEX

All of these produce no symbol on the remote host.

My question is: Does anybode have an idea what I could do to narrow this
problem down?

Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards,
Steffen

Re: Guacamole 0.9.14, RDP, Accent Symbols on German Keyboard Layout

Posted by Steffen Moser <li...@steffen-moser.de>.
Hi Mike,

thanks a lot! Just tested it. It works fine for Chrome and Firefox on
Windows 10 and Linux (with dead keys enabled and disabled).

This will be very helpful for my users!

Unfortunately, I don't see an improvement for Chrome and Firefox on
macOS 10.13.

I haven't tested with other browsers, yet.

Kind regards,
Steffen

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.