Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Jessica Tomechak <je...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/17 17:59:13 UTC

[Doc] Review request: Is the System Requirements doc correct?

Need to double-check these system requirements before shipping the docs.
For example, I see Ubuntu 12.04 in the list. I notice the email threads
where Wido mentions he added this support. But has that been tested?

3.3.1. Management Server, Database, and Storage System Requirements

The machines that will run the Management Server and MySQL database must
meet the following requirements. The same machines can also be used to
provide primary and secondary storage, such as via localdisk or NFS. The
Management Server may be placed on a virtual machine.

Operating system:

Preferred: CentOS/RHEL 6.2+ or Ubuntu 12.04(.1)
Also supported: CentOS/RHEL 5.5 or Ubuntu 10.04

64-bit x86 CPU (more cores results in better performance)
4 GB of memory
50 GB of local disk (When running secondary storage on the management
server 500GB is recommended)
At least 1 NIC
Statically allocated IP address
Fully qualified domain name as returned by the hostname command

3.3.2. Host/Hypervisor System Requirements

The host is where the cloud services run in the form of guest virtual
machines. Each host is one machine that meets the following requirements:

Must be 64-bit and must support HVM (Intel-VT or AMD-V enabled).
64-bit x86 CPU (more cores results in better performance)
Hardware virtualization support required
4 GB of memory
36 GB of local disk
At least 1 NIC
Statically allocated IP Address
Latest hotfixes applied to hypervisor software
When you deploy CloudStack, the hypervisor host must not have any VMs
already running

Hosts have additional requirements depending on the hypervisor. See the
requirements listed at the top of the Installation section for your chosen
hypervisor:

Be sure you fulfill the additional hypervisor requirements and installation
steps provided in this Guide. Hypervisor hosts must be properly prepared to
work with CloudStack. For example, the requirements for XenServer are
listed under Citrix XenServer Installation.

<<And here is supposed to be a set of links to all the hypervisor sections:

Citrix XenServer
VMware vSphere
KVM
Oracle VM (OVM)
-----------
Jessica T.
cloudStack Tech Pubs

Re: [Doc] Review request: Is the System Requirements doc correct?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Jessica Tomechak
<je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Need to double-check these system requirements before shipping the docs.
> For example, I see Ubuntu 12.04 in the list. I notice the email threads
> where Wido mentions he added this support. But has that been tested?
>
> 3.3.1. Management Server, Database, and Storage System Requirements
>
> The machines that will run the Management Server and MySQL database must
> meet the following requirements. The same machines can also be used to
> provide primary and secondary storage, such as via localdisk or NFS. The
> Management Server may be placed on a virtual machine.
>
> Operating system:
>
> Preferred: CentOS/RHEL 6.2+ or Ubuntu 12.04(.1)
> Also supported: CentOS/RHEL 5.5 or Ubuntu 10.04

If you see this content, you are looking at a dated copy of the docs,
please git pull and build again.

--David

Re: [Doc] Review request: Is the System Requirements doc correct?

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
According to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/ASF+CS+4.0+QA,
Ubuntu 12.04 was tested rather than 10.04