Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Harold Naparst <hn...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/05 11:47:02 UTC

Flailing

I am trying to commit my changes to subversion, and everything I do produces
an error.
What am I doing wrong. The checkout command, which executed successfully
was:

svn checkout file:///usr/local/svn/trunk client

Here's what's happening now:

boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn commit
svn: '/home/boinc/seti_boinc' is not a working copy
boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> cd client
boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc/client> svn commit
svn: Working copy '/home/boinc/seti_boinc/client' locked
svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for details)
boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc/client> cd ..
boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn cleanup file:///usr/local/svn
svn: Cannot cleanup 'file:///usr/local/svn': not a directory
boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn cleanup file:///usr/local/svn/trunk
svn: Cannot cleanup 'file:///usr/local/svn/trunk': not a directory
boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn update file:///usr/local/svn/trunk
svn: 'file:///usr/local/svn' is not a working copy
boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn checkout file:///usr/local/svn/trunkclient
svn: Working copy 'client' locked
svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for details)
boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn cleanup file:///usr/local/svn/trunk client
svn: Cannot cleanup 'file:///usr/local/svn/trunk': not a directory
boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn cleanup client
svn: 'client/.libs' is not a working copy directory
boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn commit client

Re: Flailing

Posted by Gary Thomas <ga...@mlbassoc.com>.
On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 08:14 -0400, Harold Naparst wrote:
> Gary,
>   The problem appears to be somehow that a subdirectory of client,
> (.libs) was confusing
> subversion somehow.
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc/client> svn status
> ?      pulsefind.new
> ?      boinc_finish_called
> ?      init_data.xml
> ?      svn-commit.2.tmp
> ?      setiathome_4.11_p4-P-naparst-r1-linux-gnu
> ?      svn-commit.tmp
>   L    .
> M      setiathome-4.7.i686-pc-linux-gnu
>   L    test_workunits
>   L    .deps
>   L    win_build
>   L    test_vtl
> M      seti_boinc
> M      stderr.txt
> M      result.sah
> !      boinc_lockfile
> ~      .libs
> M      lcgamm.cpp
> M      state.sah
> M      setiathome-4.7.i686-pc-linux-gnu.debug
>

>  I resolved the problem by executing
>
> svn delete .libs
> svn commit
>
> This cleared the problem up, although I'd like to know how the status
> got set to ~ in the first
> place, or what that means.

It's best to ask these questions on the list, not privately.
In this case, I'm not sure.  Where did '.libs' come from?

Re: Flailing

Posted by Gary Thomas <ga...@mlbassoc.com>.
On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 07:47 -0400, Harold Naparst wrote:
> I am trying to commit my changes to subversion, and everything I do
> produces an error.
> What am I doing wrong.  The checkout command, which executed
> successfully was:
>
> svn checkout file:///usr/local/svn/trunk client
>
> Here's what's happening now:
>
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn commit
> svn: '/home/boinc/seti_boinc' is not a working copy
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> cd client
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc/client> svn commit
> svn: Working copy '/home/boinc/seti_boinc/client' locked
> svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
> details)
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc/client> cd ..
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn cleanup file:///usr/local/svn
> svn: Cannot cleanup 'file:///usr/local/svn': not a directory
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn cleanup file:///usr/local/svn/trunk
> svn: Cannot cleanup 'file:///usr/local/svn/trunk': not a directory
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn update file:///usr/local/svn/trunk
> svn: 'file:///usr/local/svn' is not a working copy
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn checkout file:///usr/local/svn/trunk
> client
> svn: Working copy 'client' locked
> svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
> details)
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn cleanup file:///usr/local/svn/trunk
> client
> svn: Cannot cleanup 'file:///usr/local/svn/trunk': not a directory
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn cleanup client
> svn: 'client/.libs' is not a working copy directory
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn checkout file:///usr/local/svn/trunk
> client
> svn: Working copy 'client' locked
> svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
> details)
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn commit  client
> svn: Working copy '/home/boinc/seti_boinc/client' locked
> svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
> details)
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc>

Try:
  % cd ~/seti_boinc/client
  % svn cleanup
  % svn commit

Re: Flailing

Posted by Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 17:17, Harold Naparst wrote:
> I am trying to commit my changes to subversion, and everything I do
> produces an error.
Well, most of the commands require a context. Some run on the wc and
some run on the repository

Points to remember.
- A URL always points to a repository
- A relative or absolute path always points to a wc
(or thats how svn sees it)
Pl. find other comments embedded.

> What am I doing wrong.  The checkout command, which executed
>  successfully was:
>
> svn checkout file:///usr/local/svn/trunk client
checkout works on a repository(the file:// url here) and results in a
local dir(client here) which is the working copy.
The usage of this command is correct.

> Here's what's happening now:
>
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn commit
> svn: '/home/boinc/seti_boinc' is not a working copy
You are outside the working copy. 'svn commit' without any parameters
should be executed from within a working copy. Your seti_boinc is not a
working copy. Thats why this didnt work.
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> cd client
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc/client> svn commit
Correct Usage.
> svn: Working copy '/home/boinc/seti_boinc/client' locked
> svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
> details)
Didnt work as a previous update/commit has prolly been abondoned and a
lock has not been removed.
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc/client> cd ..
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn cleanup file:///usr/local/svn
Cleanup works on a working copy and not a repos(URL). So this usage is
wrong.
> svn: Cannot cleanup 'file:///usr/local/svn': not a directory
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn cleanup file:///usr/local/svn/trunk
> svn: Cannot cleanup 'file:///usr/local/svn/trunk': not a directory
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn update file:///usr/local/svn/trunk
> svn: 'file:///usr/local/svn' is not a working copy
an update can only be run on a working copy and not on a URL(repos)
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn checkout file:///usr/local/svn/trunk
> client
> svn: Working copy 'client' locked
> svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
> details)
the client dir already exists and hence this cant be done ( more
specifically the client dir (the wc) is locked and hence the message.
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn cleanup file:///usr/local/svn/trunk
> client
> svn: Cannot cleanup 'file:///usr/local/svn/trunk': not a directory
no cleanup on a URL(repos) again...
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn cleanup client
> svn: 'client/.libs' is not a working copy directory
your client dir prolly has a subdir called .libs which is not a wc
directory.... but I cant make out why the cleanup hasnt happened(as
shown by your subsequent steps) for the other dirs in client ?!
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn checkout file:///usr/local/svn/trunk
> client
> svn: Working copy 'client' locked
> svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
> details)
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc> svn commit  client
client is still locked. Not cleanedup yet.
> svn: Working copy '/home/boinc/seti_boinc/client' locked
> svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
> details)
> boinc@happiness:~/seti_boinc>

the cleanest way to do a cleanup is to cd into the working copy(
~/seti_boinc/client in your case) and execute
svn cleanup

which is what Gary Thomas has suggested.

All of these have been covered by the book. Pl. read the book at
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/