Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Qiang Wan <qw...@seatab.com> on 1999/04/16 07:59:55 UTC

mod_auth-any/4258: crypt() function on Win32 is available

>Number:         4258
>Category:       mod_auth-any
>Synopsis:       crypt() function on Win32 is available
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I have a copy of crypt.c that I compiled successfully under Win32, which provides the crypt() function compatible with the Unix and Perl versions.
I know that it is a documented "feature" that password authentication is not supported on Win32 because crypt() is missing.  Since Perl supports crypt() on Win32, I had always hoped that Apache would support it someday.  Our company has decided to "bundle" Apache server as the default Web server for our application.  However, without authentication, the package is virtually useless on NT.
I don't remember how I obtained the source code (although I believe I received it in e-mail from the vendor of OpenNT).  The comment in the source code indicates that the code was developed at UCBerkeley in 93, must be part of BSD.  I understand there is export restriction on encryption software.  However, if Perl can port crypt() to Win32 while maintaining open source distribution, I think Apache should be able to achieve the same.
If you need the source file crypt.c (modified slightly so that MS VC++ would compile it), I can send it to you via e-mail.
If you can incorporate authentication quickly into your next Win32 distribution it would be a great help to many people, including clients of our firm.  Once you can perform the authentication on Win32 using crypt(), the passwords can be generated using Perl's crypt() under Win32 without problem.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
A copy of crypt.c is available, already tested under MS VC++.  I can send the file to you via e-mail.