Posted to dev@mrunit.apache.org by Aaron Kimball <ak...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/29 04:04:50 UTC

commit-then-review or review-then-commit?

Hey folks,

It was my understanding that in the Hadoop community, all patches had to get
a +1 on the review before being committed, even those from long-time
committers on the project. The new committer guide [1] suggests that being a
"committer" on a project implies that you should commit first.

How would we like to go about this here?

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html

Thanks,
- Aaron

Re: commit-then-review or review-then-commit?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Let's just commit -- we are small enough and agile enough that let's just open up the flood gates.

We should let people chime in and respect them when they do should they have an objection, but I'm fine with just committing. It's worked for me on all my other projects (Nutch, Tika, Lucene, OODT, SIS, Gora, Lucy)...

Cheers,
Chris

On Mar 28, 2011, at 7:04 PM, Aaron Kimball wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> It was my understanding that in the Hadoop community, all patches had to get
> a +1 on the review before being committed, even those from long-time
> committers on the project. The new committer guide [1] suggests that being a
> "committer" on a project implies that you should commit first.
>
> How would we like to go about this here?
>

> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html
>
> Thanks,
> - Aaron

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: commit-then-review or review-then-commit?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Guys,

I think it's good to try and have at least a 1:N mapping from JIRAs to commits, but not necessarily vice versa.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
One other plus for JIRA - it explicitly captures the intent (or not)
to submit something as apache licensed, from the "attach file/patch"
JIRA UI:

-----
Contributions intended for inclusion in ASF products (eg. patches,
code) must be licensed to ASF under the terms of the Apache License.
Other attachments (eg. log dumps, test cases) need not be.
 Attachment not intended for inclusion
 Grant license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works (as per the Apache License ยง5)

Patrick

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aaron Kimball <ak...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com>.