Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Mike Hartley <mh...@totalise.co.uk> on 2002/10/14 22:48:52 UTC

HTTP User Parameter Modifier

Hi,

I'm Mike Hartley. I am currently looking at jmeter for some performance
testing of a web application.

I am attempting to use the HTTP User Modifier Parameter with release 1.7.3
to create usernames and passwords to login to a login page. However, I
cannot get the subsitiution to function.

I have the following test plan defined

test plan
    thread group
        simple controller
            http request
                http user parameter modified

I am using the standard users.xml defined in the /bin directory and within
the http request page I have

Name                value
FmUname        ${user_id}
FmPassword    ${password}

Thanks

Mike

Re: HTTP User Parameter Modifier

Posted by Michal Kostrzewa <M....@pentacomp.com.pl>.
Hi Mike

> I am attempting to use the HTTP User Modifier Parameter with release 1.7.3
> to create usernames and passwords to login to a login page. However, I
> cannot get the subsitiution to function.
>
> Name                value
> FmUname        ${user_id}
> FmPassword    ${password}

I'm afraid you're using this in wrong way. Please instead create following
parameters in your HTTP Request:

Nam            value
user_id        *
password     *

best regards
Michal Kostrzewa

Re: HTTP User Parameter Modifier

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
I think you are confusing the User Parameter config element and the HTTP User Parameter
Modifier.  The former is only available in the latest nightlies.  To use the Modifier (which uses
the users.xml file), your HTTP Request needs to use the same parameter name as in the file.
The value of the parameter will be replaced, so it doesn't matter what you put there.

So, if your parameter's are called "user_id" and "password" in the xml file, then your HTTP
Request needs to have parameters such as

Name		Value
user_id		*
password	*

Make sense?

Now, having said all that, the newer User Parameter config element (only available in the
nightlies, but have no fear, the nightlies are in all ways an improvement on 1.7.3) is easier to
use and more powerful.  It allows you to set up values, such as ${user_id} that you can then
use as you tried to do.

Read about them:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP_User_Paramet
er_Modifier  (Hmmm, this one could use some more detail I see)

and

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#User_Parameters

-Mike

On 14 Oct 2002 at 21:48, Mike Hartley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm Mike Hartley. I am currently looking at jmeter for some performance
> testing of a web application.
>
> I am attempting to use the HTTP User Modifier Parameter with release 1.7.3
> to create usernames and passwords to login to a login page. However, I
> cannot get the subsitiution to function.
>
> I have the following test plan defined
>
> test plan
>     thread group
>         simple controller
>             http request
>                 http user parameter modified
>
> I am using the standard users.xml defined in the /bin directory and within
> the http request page I have
>
> Name                value
> FmUname        ${user_id}
> FmPassword    ${password}