Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2001/04/02 10:20:20 UTC

Re: [DISC] Task API

Glenn McAllister <gl...@somanetworks.com> wrote:

>> * tasks should have access to its own XML representation.
>
> As Peter said, replace the phrase "XML representation" with "Task
> Object Model", and I'll +1 this.

And what would this TOM be?

Tasks already have access to all attributes and all child
elements. Are you talking about a more generic interface to access
them like "Map getAttributes()" or "List getChildern()"? How and under
what circumstances would a task benefit from it?

Stefan

Re: [DISC] Task API

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 10:37  2/4/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> When it is a container task or a dynamic one like proposed for
>> property. ie
>>
>> <if test="...">
>>   <some-other-task/>
>> </fi>
>
>I still don't get it, sorry. Somehow If.createTask("some-other-task")
>or similar would have been called anyway, wouldn't it?

Okay .. now I don't get it ;)

If we use our current model it is impossible for task to contain arbitrary
sub-elements. If instead the task gets passed a full DOM/TOM/Object tree it
can interpret the tree itself in a completely random way ;) If you have a
look at mymidon proposal you will see that the property task did just that.
I can't see another clean way of doing containerships (considering that in
our case the contained objects are themselves proxy representations of
other tasks).

Cheers,

Pete

Re: [DISC] Task API

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISC] Task API

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 10:20  2/4/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Glenn McAllister <gl...@somanetworks.com> wrote:
>
>>> * tasks should have access to its own XML representation.
>>
>> As Peter said, replace the phrase "XML representation" with "Task
>> Object Model", and I'll +1 this.
>
>And what would this TOM be?
>
>Tasks already have access to all attributes and all child
>elements. Are you talking about a more generic interface to access
>them like "Map getAttributes()" or "List getChildern()"? How and under
>what circumstances would a task benefit from it?

When it is a container task or a dynamic one like proposed for property. ie

<if test="...">
  <some-other-task/>
</fi>

or