Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/05 23:16:15 UTC

[ANN] Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 released

We are pleased to announce the Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 release!

http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/xdoc/

Convert xdocs into HTML.

Changes in this version include:

New Features:

o Allow i18n links. Issue: MPXDOC-131. Thanks to Ignacio G. Mac Dowell.

Fixed bugs:

o Dependencies comment (MPXDOC-129) feature disappeared. Issue: MPXDOC-163.
o Special characters in menu ids aren't escaped. Issue: MPXDOC-162. Thanks
Lukas Theussl.
o Add documentation about "external links" and "new windows". Issue:
MPXDOC-156. Thanks to Jeff Jensen.
o Xdoc plugin &amp;gt;= 1.9 not compatible with older customised site.jsl.
Issue:
MPXDOC-155. Thanks to Lukas Theussl.
o System locale setting makes test cases fail. Issue: MPXDOC-154. Thanks to
Juan F. Codagnone,Vincent Siveton,Lukas Theussl.
o cvs-usage link not shown in project-info page Issue: MPXDOC-152. Thanks to

Arnaud Heritier.
o i18n : menu tag in xdoc does not work with "key" translated text id.
Issue:
MPXDOC-151.
o maven.xdoc.date.format does not seem to have any effect. Issue:
MPXDOC-150.
Thanks to Ignacio G. Mac Dowell.
o &amp;lt;DT&amp;gt; is appearing same way as subsection. Fix layout for the
plugin. Issue: MPXDOC-149. Thanks to Lukas Theussl.
o Fixed bundles expression. Issue: MPXDOC-148. Thanks to Incze Lajos.
o Missing "Project Reports" header in the generated menu. Issue: MPXDOC-147.

o i18n : html code removed from bundles.
o i18n : doc title wasn't printed in breadcrumbs.

Changes:

o breadcrumbs : add a link to the site on the project name.

To automatically install the plugin, type the following on a single line:

maven plugin:download
-Dmaven.repo.remote=http://www.ibiblio.org/maven,
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/
-DgroupId=maven
-DartifactId=maven-xdoc-plugin
-Dversion=1.9.2

For a manual installation, you can download the plugin here:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/java-repository/maven/plugins/maven-xdoc-plugin-1.9.2.jar

Have fun!
-The Maven XDoc Plug-in development team

Re: [ANN] Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 released

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
On 9/6/05, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:

> Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >We are pleased to announce the Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 release!=20
>
> Folks,
>
> |Subject: [vote] maven-xdoc-plugin 1.9.2 for maven 1.X
> |Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 01:40:29 +0000 (UTC)
>

> |Subject: [ANN] Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 released
> |Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 21:16:24 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Sorry to bother you, but IMHO it must not work that way. Even if the
> maven PMC runs things a bit differently, a voting period of not even
> 48 hours isn't the way to go. Also, according to the voting rules
> stated on the apache pages and your own maven developer pages, you
> should at least post a result to the dev-list (and you probably have
> to run the result by the Maven PMC (At least it is like this in
> Jakarta land and I don't think it is much different in Maven land)).

I know (and I assume) I quickly released these plugins, but :
- we had the minimum of votes
- I published several SNAPSHOT to tests them (
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/maven/plugins/?C=M;O=D), warned some users
(mailing list, irc, ..) and I didn't receive some blocking problems from
them. Personaly I prefered to try to release often but it's not always easy.

Running the show like this ("We decided to release. Poof. We
> release.") might be ok for your very own project hosted at
> sourceforge. Not for an Apache project.
>
> You might think about this for future releases. The ASF has not many
> rules and they are very flexible but there _are_ rules and the point
> is to allow people to participate. Not just to sit and watch "the big
> guys do their thing".

Yes, it's right, maven is a community (like apache, jakarta) of users and
committers which work together. But it's not always easy to satisfy
everybody :
- Those who need to have quickly a new release (you for example).
- Those who prefer we follow a long procedure to be sure we didn't miss
something before to do a release. (you too :-) )

Arnaud

Re: Maven community was: [ANN] Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 released

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

> Are there any committers/observers who feel left out? Please speak up!

I don't feel left out, I tend to only respond to things I feel I can
contribute on, or have an opinion about. I think the community is pretty
solid and considering the number of messages I recieve on a daily basis
(excluding the JIRA spam ;-)), I think the community is thriving.

Voting is sometimes artificial IMO. When someone is recommended for
inclusion in the core project for instance, I've yet to see one -1 vote. It
feels more like ceremony than real practical value. When voting for plugin
releases, I think the current process is ok. If someone is monitoring the
mailinglists, he/she can pull the breaks when he/she feels that a release of
a plugin is too soon. When the most important and recent players on a
particular plugin have voted +1, I'd say release.

The only 'gripe' I have is that it takes too long for 1.1 to become final,
I'd liked it when more development effort had been put into releasing
1.1somewhere in june, but I don't think that is a huge problem though.
1.0.2 is still working wonders for me.

Go team!

Martijn

Re: Maven community was: [ANN] Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 released

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

>a) I'm aware that this is not Jakarta. It is Maven. So rules are
>   probably different (I'm not on the Maven PMC, so all I know are the
>   public pages on maven.apache.org which is not really much. So I
>   considered the main apache rules from apache.org to apply)

Ok, please point out anything specific here and we'll look into it.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes
Says 3 binding votes (we had 4 and one non-binding, we now have 6 for
good measure :)
It does say they should be run for 72 hours. It is not strongly worded,
and I'd much prefer we have the habit of only tabling the release when
it has been under discussion and then going ahead after enough binding
votes are recorded.

>My concerns are of a different nature: The ASF is a people driven
>organization. It is about participation. About people swapping opinions,
>discussing topics. Agreeing. Not agreeing. This means, there are a few
>rules to which everyone and every project should try to hold up. One of
>them is voting and voting periods.

As for the rest, I agree with you on the principles - but don't agree it
is something the Maven community is suffering from.

On this particular release, it has been a week since you brought it up -
we've had people testing it in the mean time. The vote was really only
called after we thought people were happy with it, not as a call to test.

>If you don't want or care about these reactions, then a project is no
>longer people and community driven. Which is _the_ _main_ _point_ of all
>ASF projects. This is what I meant with 'just watching the big guys
>doing their thing'.

Well, that's not the intention. We do care about this, and we try hard
to include people. Which is probably more why I took offense than
anything else.

>Apache and Apache projects is about "everyone can
>participate".

We've added a number of committers recently, all who are still regularly
contributing, and doing a great job I might add. I think that indicates
that we must be doing something right and that people can participate.

Are there any committers/observers who feel left out? Please speak up!
I'd like to hear from others on their opinion about the health of the
community. Feel free to say nice things about it to, and what you think
works well.

For anyone that wants to know more about Apache, here are some helpful
links:
http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html
http://www.apache.org/foundation/faq.html#what-is-apache-about

I think everyone should be familiar with this.

>The mail went to the users-list because the announcement was sent only
>there (I couldn't find it on the dev list, but this can be due to my
>personal mailing list setup, if this is the case then apologies). I
>agree that -dev is the better choice.

It was a simple mistake, no problem.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: [ANN] Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 released

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

>My personal blog was, is and will always be the place where I write
>what I want. I will not apply _any_ anticipatory obedience to what I
>write there.
>
>If you don't like my style, noone forces you to read my blog. I am
>willing to critically review my style on public mailing lists or the
>issue tracker, but not on my personal blog.

Of course - that wasn't my point at all. You can write what you want and
how you want and I'll continue to read it along with everyone else's on
planet apache. My point was about the why you'd chose to write such
things in the first place.

- Brett

Re: [ANN] Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 released

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> writes:

>http://henning.schmiedehausen.org/wingnut-diaries/archives/18

My personal blog was, is and will always be the place where I write
what I want. I will not apply _any_ anticipatory obedience to what I
write there.

If you don't like my style, noone forces you to read my blog. I am
willing to critically review my style on public mailing lists or the
issue tracker, but not on my personal blog.

	Best regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: [ANN] Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 released

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
This is really ridiculous. Lukas only got his account today, and this is
how you want him to perceive the ASF?

Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

>>I refrain from using stronger words, but I doubt that Henning will get
>>anything near that much attention from my part in the future.
>>

>This, basically, sums up the fears that I had and still have. Thanks
>for clarifying it.

I don't see how this is a problem. Anyone is entitled to work on what he
or she wants, and I don't think anyone came blame Lukas for choosing to
do things that interest him, or that help people who appreciate it.
Nobody demanded payment or special recognition.

>You might want to ask yourself if you really "got" the Apache way.

I think its time to consider the alternative that *you* don't get it.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/faq.html#what-is-apache-about

What is it not about?
- To flame someone to shreds
- to demand someone else to fix your bugs.

Both of these, while worded more strongly than I'd choose for the
current situation, are what you have tended towards recently.

What is the Apache way?
- Respect for fellow developers.
- A Meritocracy

I'm not seeing a whole lot of respect from you, Henning.

You've publically mocked the Maven community, not only in this thread,
but in various other places which I already discussed with you:
http://docs.codehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=22230&focusedCommentId=28775#comment-28775
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200508.mbox/%3c1123830384.5488.71.camel@forge.intermeta.de%3e
http://henning.schmiedehausen.org/wingnut-diaries/archives/18

If you're really concerned, you're going about handling it the wrong way.

If you're going to participate here, I'll ask that you give others more
respect. There are a lot of people here contributing positively and I
don't want to see them discouraged.

I hope you find this constructive and not inflammatory, as that is the
intent.

Regards,
Brett

Re: [ANN] Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 released

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Lukas Theussl <th...@triumf.ca> writes:

>I refrain from using stronger words, but I doubt that Henning will get
>anything near that much attention from my part in the future.

This, basically, sums up the fears that I had and still have. Thanks
for clarifying it.

You might want to ask yourself if you really "got" the Apache way.

	Regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: [ANN] Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 released

Posted by Lukas Theussl <th...@triumf.ca>.
[Everything essential has been said on this issue, just my personal
point of view]

Me too, I am offended.

We have worked hard since Henning's last outburst on this list about a
week ago. Arnaud called for the vote at about 4am his local time, after
he spent the night reviewing and submitting patches. My 2year old son
had to go to the aquarium alone with his mother last Sunday because I
wanted to review my patches. And now all we get is this, from the very
same person who demanded the action.

I refrain from using stronger words, but I doubt that Henning will get
anything near that much attention from my part in the future.

- Lukas

RE: [ANN] Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 released

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi,

Just for the record I don't agree at all with Henning's outburst. I was even
offended by it to be honest. I've yet to see a single tangible fact that
would justify the outburst.

Thanks
-Vincent

[snip]

Re: [ANN] Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 released

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Hi,

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 18:00 +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> [...]
>
>         You might think about this for future releases. The ASF has
>         not many
>         rules and they are very flexible but there _are_ rules and the
>         point
>         is to allow people to participate. Not just to sit and watch
>         "the big
>         guys do their thing".
>
>                 Regards
>                         Henning
>

>         --
>         Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P.
>         Schmiedehausen          INTERMETA GmbH
>         hps@intermeta.de        +49 9131 50 654 0
>         http://www.intermeta.de/
>
>         RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development  --
>         hero for hire
>            Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training,
>         Development
>
>                               4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

      RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development
   Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Engineering

                     4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: [ANN] Maven XDoc Plug-in 1.9.2 released

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Wow.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.