Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Prateek <pr...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/26 03:20:53 UTC

problem in starting tomcat

Hi,
My configuration:
OS:REDHAT 7.5 (64 bit)
Tomcat: 8.5.31
Jdk- jdk-11(Early-Access)

When I am trying to start my server I got following error as:
A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fd4f206e28a, pid=2412, tid=2412
#
# JRE version:  (11.0+18) (build )
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (11-ea+18, mixed mode, aot, sharing, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, linux-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libc.so.6+0x8128a]  strlen+0x2a
#
# Core dump will be written. Default location: /localdisk/corefiles/core.%h.%e.%p
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /localdisk/corefiles/hs_err_pid2412.log
#
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
#
# -XX:OnError="/usr/bin/sudo /opt/CSCOcpm/bin/isegencore.sh %p"
#   Executing /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/sudo /opt/CSCOcpm/bin/isegencore.sh 2412" ...
Generating core file on Tue Jun 26 03:09:07 UTC 2018
Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/libthread_db.so.1".
0x00007fd4f23a441c in waitpid () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
Missing separate debuginfos, use: debuginfo-install CSCOcpm-common-2.5.0-185.x86_64
warning: target file /proc/2412/cmdline contained unexpected null characters
Saved corefile core.2412
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option PermSize; support was removed in 8.0
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option MaxPermSize; support was removed in 8.0
Reloading service
Waiting 60 s to prevent looping

Pls help I stuck at it.

Thanks & regards
Prateek

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

RE: problem in starting tomcat

Posted by Jäkel, Guido <G....@dnb.de>.
>> When I am trying to start my server I got following error as:
>> A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
>> #
>> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fd4f206e28a, pid=2412, tid=2412
>> #
>> # JRE version:  (11.0+18) (build )
>> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (11-ea+18, mixed mode, aot, sharing, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, linux-amd64)
>> # Problematic frame:
>> # C  [libc.so.6+0x8128a]  strlen+0x2a
>
>This is saying that the segfault occurred in libc code, specifically the
>strlen function.  This suggests that either the JVM is using the libc
>library incorrectly, or that the libc library on your system is bad.

From your hs_er_pid.txt I read:

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 6/25/2018 9:20 PM, Prateek wrote:
> My configuration:
> OS:REDHAT 7.5 (64 bit)
> Tomcat: 8.5.31
> Jdk- jdk-11(Early-Access)

+1 to everything else you've been told on this thread.

More stuff inline below.

> When I am trying to start my server I got following error as:
> A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
> #
> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fd4f206e28a, pid=2412, tid=2412
> #
> # JRE version:  (11.0+18) (build )
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (11-ea+18, mixed mode, aot, sharing, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, linux-amd64)
> # Problematic frame:
> # C  [libc.so.6+0x8128a]  strlen+0x2a

This is saying that the segfault occurred in libc code, specifically the
strlen function.  This suggests that either the JVM is using the libc
library incorrectly, or that the libc library on your system is bad.

> # An error report file with more information is saved as:
> # /localdisk/corefiles/hs_err_pid2412.log

Can you provide the JVM error file above (or the one from the most
recent crash)?

> Saved corefile core.2412

If I had any idea how to interpret coredumps, I would ask for that file,
but I don't.  Maybe Oracle can do something useful with it.

I did find a JDK bug showing a crash in libc, but that bug should be
fixed in Java 9 and later.

If the behavior is exactly the same with Java 10, then I would think it
means the system itself has a problem.  My first thought would be that
the kernel or system libraries like libc are broken, but it could also
be faulty hardware.  Can you get this working if you put Java 8 on THIS
system and use that?

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: problem in starting tomcat

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.

On 6/27/2018 9:18 AM, Prateek wrote:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html
>
> The above link suggests that tomcat generally works with any Java early access builds and hence the attempt to run using JDK11 EA build.  Please suggest on the course of action that I should be taking.

I agree with Chris and Coty.

The statement that "Tomcat generally works with any Java version that
complies with the minimum requirements" is correct, but that is based on
the premise that the Java version does not have bugs that would prevent
Tomcat from running.

The problem with EA/Alpha/Beta builds is that they are not well tested
yet, and any "improvement" in the new version might introduce a new bug
that will cause such an issue.

It is also possible that a bug was introduced in Java 9 or 10 and your
specific set up triggers it while for most users there are no issues so
it hasn't been reported or fixed yet.

Igal

Re: problem in starting tomcat

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 1:08 PM, Prateek <pr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> By hardened, I meant that support for some FIPS non-complaint algos were
> removed/disabled.
>
> Thanks for confirming again that this is a clear problem with the JVM.

From what you've given us this is a JVM problem and nothing that we can fix

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: problem in starting tomcat

Posted by Prateek <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

We are running, libtcnative version 1.2.16 with apr version 1.6.3, compiled from the source, configured to use a hardened version of OpenSSL version 1.0.2.

Also, we have tried using the release quality JVM build (1.8.0_162) and have no issues with launching tomcat with that. (Assume that we can take this for hw being good)

We are preparing for moving to the latest version of JRE available given that support for Java 8 is going to end soon.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Prateek

On 6/25/2018 8:20 PM, Prateek wrote:
> My configuration:
> OS:REDHAT 7.5 (64 bit)
> Tomcat: 8.5.31
> Jdk- jdk-11(Early-Access)
>
> When I am trying to start my server I got following error as:
> A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
> #
> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fd4f206e28a, pid=2412, tid=2412
> #
> # JRE version:  (11.0+18) (build )
> # <snip/>
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option PermSize; support was removed in 8.0
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option MaxPermSize; support was removed in 8.0

You are running Java 11EA but your config settings seem to be circa Java
7 (per PermSize warnings).

I second Chris' suggestion to use a well tested "release version" of the
JVM, but at the very least you should try to remove all of the
unnecessary config settings.

Igal

Re: problem in starting tomcat

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.
Prateek,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: problem in starting tomcat

Posted by Prateek <pr...@gmail.com>.
Here I am hs_err_pid file

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Posted by Prateek <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Coty,

I have tried after removing OnError from the JAVA_OPTS.  The results are the same.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Prateek.

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.