Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/07/19 08:17:31 UTC

HEAD and redirects

If I have an ErrorDocument to intercept "not found" which calls a script,
there doesn't seem to be any way for the script to know that the user
requested a HEAD instead of GET.

Apache remembers that the request was for HEAD and so throws away the
script body.

Q. can apache be made to record the original METHOD so that scripts
    called after a redirect have a chance to do something intelligent
    knowing that the user doesn't want anything other than headers?

I tried adding a "REDIRECT_METHOD" but I didn't get the magic right
to make it work.