Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@apache.org> on 2005/01/05 05:34:23 UTC

Removing interim dated builds from /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

Please excuse the cross post. I'm planning to run some commands on the
java-repository to remove interim builds and SNAPSHOTS. Specifically,
I'll be running:

> #!/bin/sh
>
 > LOCATION=/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository
 >
> find ${LOCATION} -name '*200[0-4]*' | while read j;
> do
>    rm -f $j;
> done
>
> find ${LOCATION} -name '*SNAPSHOT*' | while read j;
> do
>    rm -f $j;
> done
>
> find ${LOCATION} -name '*snapshot-version*' | while read j;
> do
>    rm -f $j;
> done

I want to announce this so that folks have an opportunity to object or
make other recommendations.

For anyone wondering, all these files are currently available in
/www/archive.apache.org/dist/java-repository as well. So if anything
needs recovery it can be recovered from there.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Open Source Software Developer

Re: Removing interim dated builds from /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2005, at 6:56 AM, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

>> Heres a really good example of a reference we promote usage of:
>>
>> jakarta-commons/chain/project.properties,v:
>> maven.repo.central.directory=/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository
>>
>> maven.repo.central.directory is property which states "where" to  publish
>> to, not where to download from.
>

> This is exactly my point.  If someone pulled down that source, it
> potentially won't build.  Once you start messing with repos, it can
> eliminate the possibility of recreating *historical* builds.

No, your missing it, the point of "maven.repo.central.directory" is that
it specifically configures where things get "published" to, not where to
download them from. Release Managers using Maven need to maintain this
sort of stuff outside of the cvs and only use it when publishing
releases or interim builds

http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Behavioural_Properties
http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/artifact/properties.html

Are examples of configuring the client.

>>> Unfortunately, not all projects that use the apache repos are not
>>> hosted at apache.
>>

>> We've never publicized the the java-repository to be used externally.  It
>> 's content was originally migrated from Apache by Jason Van Zyl and
>> Myself with the goal of getting publishing of Apache content back to
>> Apache (with Ibibilio as a mirror). Anyone using it would be using it  at
>> their own risk. I believe that any consultation with the ASF Repository
>> project here at Apache would have made this issue clear to them.
>>
>> Further, my point is that currently there shouldn't be projects
>> dependent on java-repository as its location for resolving jar
>> dependencies, there is an entire discussion on the repository@apache
>> list concerning this subject, the repository used is a configuration of
>> the client right now (in Maven) not a characteristic of the project.xml
>> of a maven project. You can suggest a repository to use in properties
>> handed to Maven, but the default is always www.ibiblio.org/maven. Our
>> initial creation of java-repository was never not to have a  "Standalone"
>> Maven repository at Apache, but to provide a simple means for Apache
>> developers to publish release jars and distributions to Ibibilio until
>> such a time when distributed repositories become a greater practice.
>>
>> Its a real bad idea to force build dependencies against it at this time
>> until we get it stabilized. Its entire contents are present at Ibiblio,
>> there currently is no reason a project should be using it directly vs
>> ibibilio.
>

> I agree with what you are writing, but people do it.  IMHO if you are
> going to create a public repo, they you have a responsibility to keep
> the artifacts around forever.

But this is exactly our argument, java-repository was never meant to be
used as a public interim release repository (based on where it is
located in the "dist" directory and the policies of "dist"...

>> On top of this I recommend that Apache avoid maintaining interim builds
>> in such a way that external projects can build dependencies against
>> them. External projects should only be using fully 'sanctioned'  releases
>> published in dist for this purpose. Until tooling is completed in Ant
>> and Maven to support distributing download requests from the ASF
>> Repository across the mirrors we really cannot recommend that external
>> projects build dependencies against the contents of the ASF Repository
>> directly, please use Ibiblio/maven for this until such capabilities  come
>> into existence.
>

> That is simply not possible.  Geronimo has three external sister
> projects OpenEJB, ActiveMQ and TranQL.  These projects import Geronimo
> and Geronimo aggregates their jars into the final distribution.  If
> this were policy, then either the Geronimo project would stop, or more
> likely the Geronimo project would publish fully "sanctioned' releases
> every checkin.

This is an interesting example that represents a challenge. This is
probably best served using http://cvs.apache.org/repository or a
repository for Geronimo to manage sharing of the development snapshots.

Why are they so separate? Why not have these projects as part of Apache?

>> After writing some scripts to search the Apache cvs tree and
>> inspecting the results. It really breaks down to three cases where
>> projects reference java-repository:
>>
>> 1.) In Maven project.properties, Referencing the remote repository
>>
>> maven.repo.remote=http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/
>>
>> 2.) In Maven project.properties, Referencing a central repository
>>
>> maven.repo.central.directory=/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository
>>
>> 3.) In Ant files generated from Maven, Hardcoded references to
>> java-repository.
>>
>> I believe we should take the following stance on these cases:
>>
>> 1.) ----1 !!!
>>
>> 2.) +1
>>
>> 3.) ----1 !!!
>

> Agree - I personally wouldn't do 2, but I see no reason to discourage  it.

Yes, but not until we stabilize the java-repository for the purpose of
containing only sanctioned ASF releases.

> I personally don't mind eliminating files from this repo, but I think
> you should be aware that you are making a decision that most like will
> break a few historical builds.  I personally feel this is an acceptable
> level of breakage, but I don't think we should down play the fact it
> may break some builds.
>
> -dain

Yes, and thanks again for the input, I opened discussion because this is
a concern of mine as well.

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

Re: Removing interim dated builds from /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
On Jan 7, 2005, at 6:56 AM, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> I would hope so.  These projects have a trivial or non existent set
>> of  dependencies.  Take a look at a big project using maven and you
>> will  see that they use lots of repos, because ibiblio tends not to
>> have  everything necessary or was down when someone was working.
>
> Yet, ibiblio is an exact mirror of dist/java-repository without
> deletion. There is nothing in dist/java-repository that is not also
> present on ibibilio and the rsync is every four hours so there is
> actually only a tiny lag concerning differences. Ibiblio is the
> canonical repository of Maven, you would have to be doing a tremendous
> about of overriding to change its location on a consistent basis.
> "Why?"
> waist such time.

Regardless of what people should and shouldn't do, they do this all the
time.

> My understanding is that Ibibilio is a system dedicated to mirroring
> massive amounts of content with raid/fallover and multiple
> gateways/ISP's, I would expect its up time to be far more consistent
> than even that of Apache.

:)  I would expect that also, but it simply isn't true.  Ibiblio has
blackouts and brownouts all the time.  The latter are much worse as it
doesn't immediately return an error code; instead, it spends like 5
minutes downloading a 20k jar.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Thanks Brett,

I'm just concerned as well, that there may be distributions out on
Apache the reference the ASF Repository jars directly instead of using
Ibiblio or dyncloser.cgi. If those projects have been shortsighted in
releasing distros's that have dependencies on interim releases in
java-repository, then my proposed changes will effect them.

I think I will be moving forward with this proposal. As well as deleting
these files, I will build a log of all the changes so that recovery from
the archives can occur if any problems arise. It seems more important
that we get the repository properly organized and structured than
maintain old external project dependencies on unsanctioned interim

Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I think this is just a miscommunication, as what you have said below
> is what all the projects do
>

>>1.) In Maven project.properties, Referencing the remote repository
>>
>>maven.repo.remote=http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/
>>
>>2.) In Maven project.properties, Referencing a central repository
>>
>>maven.repo.central.directory=/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository
>>
>>3.) In Ant files generated from Maven, Hardcoded references to
>>java-repository.
>>
>>I believe we should take the following stance on these cases:
>>
>>1.) ----1 !!!
>>
>>2.) +1
>>
>>3.) ----1 !!!
>

> I agree.
>

>>As well, most projects that have java-repository as a remote repo, also
>>have have ibibilio in from of it:
>

> If I ever reference java-repository, its not in an automated fashion,
> and always behind dyncloser.cgi (eg, the release announcements).
>
> - Brett

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: Removing interim dated builds from /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> I would hope so.  These projects have a trivial or non existent set of
> dependencies.  Take a look at a big project using maven and you will
> see that they use lots of repos, because ibiblio tends not to have
> everything necessary or was down when someone was working.

Yet, ibiblio is an exact mirror of dist/java-repository without
deletion. There is nothing in dist/java-repository that is not also
present on ibibilio and the rsync is every four hours so there is
actually only a tiny lag concerning differences. Ibiblio is the
canonical repository of Maven, you would have to be doing a tremendous
about of overriding to change its location on a consistent basis. "Why?"
waist such time.

My understanding is that Ibibilio is a system dedicated to mirroring
massive amounts of content with raid/fallover and multiple
gateways/ISP's, I would expect its up time to be far more consistent
than even that of Apache.

>> In Maven, the repository used to get downloads from is not a project
>> attiribute, it is a user decision/configuaration of the client. So
>> really, a project that ends up with any dependency downloads directly
>> from dist/java-repository is not the best solution, ibiblio is the
>> more persistent and canonical point to be downloading from at this
>> point.
>

> Take a look at geronimo and you will see that it is impractical for a
> user to hunt down dependencies.  The code from a source distribution
> should just build, which means that all the dependencies *must* always
> be available.

A simple search of the files in the filesystem for any string matches to

jakarta-turbine-2/project.properties,v:maven.repo.remote=http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/

> [...]

Repository across the mirrors we really cannot recommend that external
projects build dependencies against the contents of the ASF Repository
directly, please use Ibiblio/maven for this until such capabilities come
into existence.

After writing some scripts to search the Apache cvs tree and inspecting
the results. It really breaks down to three cases where projects
reference java-repository:

1.) In Maven project.properties, Referencing the remote repository

maven.repo.remote=http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/

2.) In Maven project.properties, Referencing a central repository

maven.repo.central.directory=/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

3.) In Ant files generated from Maven, Hardcoded references to
java-repository.

I believe we should take the following stance on these cases:

(3) is caused by using (1) and generating an ant build file using Mavens
Ant task. Luckily, there are currently (and thankfully) no cases of this
occurring in the HEAD of the Apache cvs tree.

As well, most projects that have java-repository as a remote repo, also
have have ibibilio in from of it:

maven.repo.remote=http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/,http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/

this is safe but not at all recommended (yet) and stops (3) from occurring.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

Re: Removing interim dated builds from /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> [...]
>> not modification of any other content inside dist/...
>>
>> it can break milestone "source" releases that people are still
>>
>>> using.
>>> -dain
>>

>> Well, the http://www.ibiblio.org/maven repository will still maintain
>> all the SNAPSHOTS/interim builds I am planning on removing. That
>> rsync does not delete files. So users of Maven working solely with
>> the www.ibiblio.org/maven repository will not experience any of these
>> changes.
>>
>> If it is really the case that Maven users are going to
>> dist/java-repository instead www.ibiblio.org/maven we should alert
>> them, dist/java-repository is in practice just for publishing Apache
>> jars to ibiblio (though we have visions of its usage for other goals
>> in the near future).
>>
>> For Apache developers using Maven, what I recommend is to continue
>> using www.ibiblio.org to resolve dependencies for milestone and
>> release builds. Then, to actually do any interim, snapshot or dated
>> builds into
>>
>> http://cvs.apache.org/repository
>>
>> which is not mirrored.
>

> I can say that I was not aware of the policy, so I would assume other
> are not.  If there are any projects that were using that location as a
> maven repo, their builds will break.  Also if someone shipped a source
> distribution that needs one of these files, it will break, which means
> there would be no way to reproduce a historical build from a source
> distribution.
>
> -dain

Yes, I'm not sure that we can refer to it accepably as "a policy", as
much as a "best practice".

Well, if we take the latest release of Commons Math for instance. From
both a Maven and Ant standpoint the distributions dependecies are
resolved to/against ibibilio:

>    <get dest="${libdir}/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar" usetimestamp="true"
> ignoreerrors="true"
> src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-logging/jars/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar">
>     </get>
>     <get dest="${libdir}/commons-discovery-0.2.jar"
> usetimestamp="true" ignoreerrors="true"
> src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-discovery/jars/commons-discovery-0.2.jar">
>     </get>

In Maven, the repository used to get downloads from is not a project
attiribute, it is a user decision/configuaration of the client. So
really, a project that ends up with any dependency downloads directly
from dist/java-repository is not the best solution, ibiblio is the more
persistent and canonical point to be downloading from at this point.

It might be good to go through the Apache projects that are in
java-repository and see if any are packaged to download dependencies
from there, I doubt it that here would be any occurances however. As a
majority of the files were originally published to/against ibiblio in

cheers,
MArk

Re: Removing interim dated builds from /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2005, at 8:34 PM, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
>> Please excuse the cross post. I'm planning to run some commands on the
>> java-repository to remove interim builds and SNAPSHOTS. Specifically,
>> I'll be running:
>

> If you remove SNAPSHOTS, it not only can it break head branches of
> projects,

Can you explain this further, I'm not sure what your suggesting here.
Are you referring to content outside of
/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository? Its important to point out
that I'm only suggesting modification of content in the repository, not
modification of any other content inside dist/...

it can break milestone "source" releases that people are still
> using.
>
> -dain

Well, the http://www.ibiblio.org/maven repository will still maintain
all the SNAPSHOTS/interim builds I am planning on removing. That rsync
does not delete files. So users of Maven working solely with the
www.ibiblio.org/maven repository will not experience any of these changes.

If it is really the case that Maven users are going to
dist/java-repository instead www.ibiblio.org/maven we should alert them,
dist/java-repository is in practice just for publishing Apache jars to
ibiblio (though we have visions of its usage for other goals in the near
future).

For Apache developers using Maven, what I recommend is to continue using
www.ibiblio.org to resolve dependencies for milestone and release
builds. Then, to actually do any interim, snapshot or dated builds into

http://cvs.apache.org/repository

which is not mirrored.

My goal in cleaning the dist/java-repository directory is to eliminate
the historical publishing of interim/dated builds from the
java-repository so that we can begin to enforce the policy that these
files should not be there via tool like Henk Pennings cron survey scripts:

http://www.apache.org/~henkp/

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

Re: Removing interim dated builds from /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
On Jan 4, 2005, at 8:34 PM, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Please excuse the cross post. I'm planning to run some commands on the
> java-repository to remove interim builds and SNAPSHOTS. Specifically,
> I'll be running:

If you remove SNAPSHOTS, it not only can it break head branches of
projects, it can break milestone "source" releases that people are
still using.

-dain