Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Richard S. Huntrods" <hu...@nucleus.com> on 2001/12/17 20:20:38 UTC

Assistance please - fixed W2k 4.0 vs 4.0.1 problem, created another!

Greetings!

I have "solved" my problem on W2K where Tomcat 4.0 worked, but Tomcat
4.0.1 did not.

I simply moved some jar files (most importantly servlet.jar) from
JDK/jre/lib/ext into somewhere else (a temp directory).

Now Tomcat 4.0.1 runs perfectly.  Obviously the occurance of TWO
servlet.jar files was causing all my problems.

BUT - Now I have a new problem, for which I would like to solicit some
advice.

NOW - I cannot compile servlets.  The problem is historic - I hate the
classpath, as almost everyone who tries to use classpath gets into big
trouble - *eventually*.  I teach Java at the University level, and
classpath is a nightmare for students.

But - most of the time you do not need any classpath at all, as Java is
very intelligent about finding what it needs.  Hence my use of the
JDK/jre/lib/ext directory.  This is where Java says to place those jar
files for java extensions (i.e. servlet.jar, junit.jar, mail.jar,
activation.jar, etc...).  AND - javac and java always find them.  Until
Tomcat 4.0.1 (which found them twice <G>).

Even Tomcat says to put stuff in JDK/jre/lib/ext - specifically this is
one of the two approved methods to get SSL (jsse) working.  In my case,
I had to do this as the JSSE_HOME variable did not get picked up
properly.  Using the jre worked perfectly.

So - how do most people compile servlets, etc if they do not put those
jar files in JDK/jre/lib/ext?  I guess I could use classpath (i.e. in
the compile command line), but I'd really like to find a better
solution.  Until TC 4.0.1's "double load" of servlet.jar, the
JDK/jre/lib/ext was essentially perfect.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations from all you Java / servlet
developers!

Cheers,

-Richard