Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by ge...@cox.net on 2005/02/07 05:00:00 UTC

Nubie Question

I'm concurrently studying XML and Java at my local Community College.  The whole OOP is such a leap for me (after over 40 yrs of conventional programming) that I'm investing the time and tuition.

I'm asking the following:  Can I use xmlbeans, XML documents, schemas, netBeans, etc. in a similar manner to how I have been using a dBASE III work-alike (with coded procedures)?  The intro web pages sure read that way.  I've even seen XMLSpy demonstrated impressively, but the application was more of a computer-to-computer exchange of highly structured data, rather than a relational database.

What I've read so far is that xmlbeans reads a schema and produces Java methods to get/set elements in the XML docs.  But, specifically, can a schema, when prescribing allowable values for an element (db field) refer to another XML Doc (db table) whose "index field" consists of the allowed values for the first element/field?  That is, the way an invoice document would contain the index to a customer table to access items in the customer table.  I'm looking at keeping the concept of "db normalization" effective, but getting the advantages of modern technologies.

Appreciations,
Gene