Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com> on 2020/02/03 00:55:23 UTC

[Gandiva] LLVM version

Hi,

Does Gandiva have any policy about LLVM version?

The current Gandiva requires LLVM 7. Other LLVM versions
aren't supported. But the latest LLVM is 9. Can we upgrade
LLVM?

Homebrew provides LLVM 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 but doesn't accept
apache-arrow package that depends outdated LLVM:

  https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/42385

It means that apache-arrow package on Homebrew can't enable
Gandiva until we upgrade LLVM to the latest version.

We have a pull request that upgrades supported LLVM to 8:
  https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/6266

In the pull request, Wes mentioned to Gandiva developers but
there are no responses.

In the pull request, there are no Gandiva changes. So we
will be able to support LLVM 7 and 8 without any #ifdef.
Can we support multiple LLVM versions? Or should we support
only one LLVM version?

I think that we can consider C++ tools provided by LLVM such
as clang-format separately. We will be able to use different
LLVM versions for Gandiva and C++ tools. For example, we
will be able to use LLVM 8 for Gandiva and LLVM 7 for
clang-format at the same time by improving our CMake
configuration.

kou

Re: [Gandiva] LLVM version

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.