Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Gregory <de...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/05 06:25:56 UTC

Re: Custom protocol for pulling images from a db [SOLVED]

I just found the solution:

1- Create a custom ParsedURLData;
2- Create a custom ParsedURLProtocolHandler. I
override  the parseURL methods and use a default
constructor that set the protocol field.
3- ParsedURL.registerHandler(new
CustumParsedURLProtocolHandler());

http://xml.apache.org/batik/extendingBatik.html#urlProtocols

Transcoder, performance & thread safety

Posted by Gregory <de...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

I have the following use case.

I have 10 base SVGDocument(s) that are made
essentially of a background <image/> and several
placeholders for text and other elements. All the base
documents have the same width, height and viewPort but
with different backgrounds and elements.

At any time the application needs to generate png
images from any base document but with custom text.
All generated image have the same width, height and
resolution.

Currently, when the application needs to generate a
custom image from a base document, it clones it,
update the placholders with the actual data and
transcode the new document.

What is the best strategy in term of performance and
thread safety?

1- Using the same transcoder for all the images?
2- Using a single transcoder for all the images
generated from a same base document (that is 10
different transcoders)?
3- Using a new transcoder each time I need a new
custom image because of potential thread safety
issues?
4- Any other solution...

Thanks

Re: Custom protocol: batik vs. java API

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Gregory,

    #1 is ok for applications but is incompatible with
Applets.  This is the main reason Batik uses #2.  Also
there are some things that are fairly annoying about
the java.net.URL class (it won't try and make sense of
'partial' URL's, always throwing errors etc).