Posted to dev@marmotta.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2013/03/28 16:16:16 UTC

Audit of NOTICE.txt(RC4)

A possibly rushed (please check!) audit of the NOTICE in the src release.

> D3.js is copyright (c) 2013, Michael Bostock and licensed under New BSD
> License. The source code is available at https://github.com/mbostock/d3
>
> Source Locations:
> - platform/marmotta-core/src/main/resources/web/admin/js/lib/
> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/sgvizler/0.5/lib/

No copyright in code - put in NOTICE

> The Dracula Graph Library is (c) 2010 by Johann Philipp Strathausen
> <st...@gmail.com> and licensed under MIT License. The source code is
> available at https://github.com/strathausen/dracula
>
> Source Locations:
> - platform/marmotta-core/src/main/resources/web/admin/js/lib/

File has copyright/license.  Can be removed from NOTICE

> The strftime library is copyright (c) 2008, Philip S Tellis
> <ph...@bluesmoon.info> and licensed under New BSD License. The source code
> is available at http://hacks.bluesmoon.info/strftime/files.html
>
> Source Locations:
> - platform/marmotta-core/src/main/resources/web/public/js/lib

File has copyright/license.  Can be removed from NOTICE

> The JQuery Library is copyright 2013 jQuery Foundation and other contributors,
> and licensed under MIT License. The source code is available at
> https://github.com/jquery/jquery
>
> Source Locations:
> - platform/marmotta-core/src/main/resources/web/public/js/lib

File has copyright/license.  Can be removed from NOTICE

> The CodeMirror Library is copyright (C) 2013 by Marijn Haverbeke
> <ma...@gmail.com> and licensed under MIT License. The source code is
> available at https://github.com/marijnh/CodeMirror
>
> Source Locations:
> - platform/marmotta-ldpath/src/main/resources/web/cm
> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/cm
> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/editor/sparql/lib

Accidentally relabelling.

> The D2R Snorql Library was originally created by Richard Cyganaik
> (http://richard.cyganiak.de/) for the D2R server project
> (http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/d2r-server/). It is licensed under the
> Apache Software License 2.0. The source code is available at
> https://github.com/kurtjx/SNORQL
>
> Source Locations:
> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/snorql

Accidentally relabelling.

> The script.aculo.us library is copyright (c) 2005-2010 Thomas Fuchs and is
> licensed under MIT License. The source code is available at
> https://github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous
>
> Source Locations:
> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/snorql/scriptaculous

Accidentally relabelling.

> The Prototype Library is copyright (c) 2005-2010 Sam Stephenson and is
> licensed under MIT License. The source code is available at
> https://github.com/sstephenson/prototype
>
> Source Locations:
> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/snorql

Accidentally relabelling.

> The SPARQL Flint Editor is copyright (c) 2011 TSO Ltd and is licensed under
> MIT License. The source code is available at
> https://github.com/TSO-Openup/FlintSparqlEditor
>
> Source Locations:
> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/editor/

Accidentally relabelling.

> The Sgvizler Library is copyright (c) 2011 Martin G. Skjæveland and is
> licensed under MIT License. The source code is available at
> https://code.google.com/p/sgvizler/source
>
> Source Locations:
> - platform/marmotta-core/src/main/resources/web/admin/js/lib
> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/sgvizler

File has copyright/license.  Can be removed from NOTICE

MIT says:
"""
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
"""

> 3rd Party Source Code
> The module launchers/marmotta-splash contains source code from the projects
> MigLayout and SwingBits, which has the following copyrights:
>
> The MigLayout library is copyright (c) 2004, Mikael Grev, MiG InfoCom AB, and
> licensed under a New BSD License. The source code is available at
> http://www.migcalendar.com/miglayout/versions/
>
> The SwingBits library is copyright (C) 2006 Michael Hjembaek, and licensed
> under a New BSD License. The source code is available at
> http://swingbits.sourceforge.net/

At least some of the files I sampled have a license header.  Can be
removed from NOTICE

> The module commons/sesame-tools-rio-rss contains source code from the
> orphaned ROME project. ROME has copyright 2004 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> and copyright 2011 The ROME Team, and is licensed under Apache License 2.0.
> The source code is available at
> https://rometools.jira.com/source/browse/ROME/trunk

Unclear - no license text I could see in a brief survey.

Re: Audit of NOTICE.txt(RC4)

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 29/03/13 09:17, Sebastian Schaffert wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> thanks for the audit. I will try answering to the issues that have not yet
> been addressed by Sergio.

Inline.

> 2013/3/28 Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>
>
>> A possibly rushed (please check!) audit of the NOTICE in the src release.
>>
>>   D3.js is copyright (c) 2013, Michael Bostock and licensed under New BSD
>>> License. The source code is available at https://github.com/mbostock/d3
>>>
>>> Source Locations:
>>> - platform/marmotta-core/src/**main/resources/web/admin/js/**lib/
>>> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/**main/resources/web/admin/**
>>> sgvizler/0.5/lib/
>>>

>> No copyright in code - put in NOTICE
>>
>>   The Dracula Graph Library is (c) 2010 by Johann Philipp Strathausen
>>> <st...@gmail.com> and licensed under MIT License. The source code
>>> is
>>> available at https://github.com/**strathausen/dracula<https://github.com/strathausen/dracula>
>>>
>>> Source Locations:
>>> - platform/marmotta-core/src/**main/resources/web/admin/js/**lib/
>>>

>> File has copyright/license.  Can be removed from NOTICE
>>
>>   The strftime library is copyright (c) 2008, Philip S Tellis
>>> <ph...@bluesmoon.info> and licensed under New BSD License. The source
>>> code
>>> is available at http://hacks.bluesmoon.info/**strftime/files.html<http://hacks.bluesmoon.info/strftime/files.html>
>>>
>>> Source Locations:
>>> - platform/marmotta-core/src/**main/resources/web/public/js/**lib
>>>

>> File has copyright/license.  Can be removed from NOTICE
>>
>>   The JQuery Library is copyright 2013 jQuery Foundation and other
>>> contributors,
>>> and licensed under MIT License. The source code is available at
>>> https://github.com/jquery/**jquery <https://github.com/jquery/jquery>
>>>
>>> Source Locations:
>>> - platform/marmotta-core/src/**main/resources/web/public/js/**lib
>>>

>> File has copyright/license.  Can be removed from NOTICE
>>

> SOLR has the same (jQuery) and similar cases and includes them in the
> NOTICE file:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk/solr/NOTICE.txt
>
> same with CouchDB:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/trunk/NOTICE
>
> and ODE:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ode/trunk/NOTICE
>
> (was a random sample of Apache projects that provide some sort of Web UI).
>
> What do you recommend? I'd prefer keeping the (short) notice to be safe.

OK - being able to refer to others as precedence is useful when an
outside review is done.

As you've discovered, there are principles and there are interpretations :-)

>>   The Sgvizler Library is copyright (c) 2011 Martin G. Skjæveland and is
>>> licensed under MIT License. The source code is available at
>>> https://code.google.com/p/**sgvizler/source<https://code.google.com/p/sgvizler/source>
>>>
>>> Source Locations:
>>> - platform/marmotta-core/src/**main/resources/web/admin/js/**lib
>>> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/**main/resources/web/admin/**sgvizler
>>>

>> File has copyright/license.  Can be removed from NOTICE
>>
>> MIT says:
>> """
>> The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
>> all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
>> """
>>

> Yes, but where? Is it sufficient to include in the source headers? In the
> LICENSE file? Or in the NOTICE?

LICENCE + in the source headers if originally there in headers.

This is the "minimal NOTICE" principle.

>>   ==============================**==============================**
>>> ==================
>>> 3rd Party Source Code
>>> ==============================**==============================**
>>> ==================
>>> The module launchers/marmotta-splash contains source code from the
>>> projects
>>> MigLayout and SwingBits, which has the following copyrights:
>>>
>>> The MigLayout library is copyright (c) 2004, Mikael Grev, MiG InfoCom AB,
>>> and
>>> licensed under a New BSD License. The source code is available at
>>> http://www.migcalendar.com/**miglayout/versions/<http://www.migcalendar.com/miglayout/versions/>
>>>
>>> The SwingBits library is copyright (C) 2006 Michael Hjembaek, and licensed
>>> under a New BSD License. The source code is available at
>>> http://swingbits.sourceforge.**net/ <http://swingbits.sourceforge.net/>
>>>

>> At least some of the files I sampled have a license header.  Can be
>> removed from NOTICE
>>

> But I think this is not the complete source code, only portions of it. So
> we need to keep references to the original source code locations.

OK - I didn't check whether it's complete.

>>   The module commons/sesame-tools-rio-rss contains source code from the
>>> orphaned ROME project. ROME has copyright 2004 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>>> and copyright 2011 The ROME Team, and is licensed under Apache License
>>> 2.0.
>>> The source code is available at
>>> https://rometools.jira.com/**source/browse/ROME/trunk<https://rometools.jira.com/source/browse/ROME/trunk>
>>>

>> Unclear - no license text I could see in a brief survey.
>>

> License information is given in the source repository (see the link). So
> NOTICE should be kept?

Yes (IMO).

>>   The module commons/sesame-tools-rio-**jsonld contains source code from
>>> the
>>> JSONLD-Java project. JSONLD-Java is copyright (c) 2012, Deutsches
>>> Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH and licensed under a
>>> New BSD License. The source code is available at
>>> https://github.com/tristan/**jsonld-java<https://github.com/tristan/jsonld-java>
>>>

>> Unclear - no license text I could see in a brief survey,
>>

> License information is given in the source repository (see the link). So
> NOTICE should be kept?

Yes, I think so.

> Greetings,
>
> Sebastian

Great job

	Andy

Re: Audit of NOTICE.txt(RC4)

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

Re: Audit of NOTICE.txt(RC4)

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I've been working on the relabelling issue (MARMOTTA-179); find some
comments inline.

On 28/03/13 16:16, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> The CodeMirror Library is copyright (C) 2013 by Marijn Haverbeke
>> <ma...@gmail.com> and licensed under MIT License. The source code is
>> available at https://github.com/marijnh/CodeMirror
>>
>> Source Locations:
>> - platform/marmotta-ldpath/src/main/resources/web/cm
>> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/cm
>> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/editor/sparql/lib
>
> Accidentally relabelling.

FIXED

>> The D2R Snorql Library was originally created by Richard Cyganaik
>> (http://richard.cyganiak.de/) for the D2R server project
>> (http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/d2r-server/). It is licensed
>> under the
>> Apache Software License 2.0. The source code is available at
>> https://github.com/kurtjx/SNORQL
>>
>> Source Locations:
>> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/snorql
>
> Accidentally relabelling.

FIXED

>> The script.aculo.us library is copyright (c) 2005-2010 Thomas Fuchs
>> and is
>> licensed under MIT License. The source code is available at
>> https://github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous
>>
>> Source Locations:
>> -
>> platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/snorql/scriptaculous
>>

> Accidentally relabelling.

FIXED

>> The Prototype Library is copyright (c) 2005-2010 Sam Stephenson and is
>> licensed under MIT License. The source code is available at
>> https://github.com/sstephenson/prototype
>>
>> Source Locations:
>> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/snorql
>
> Accidentally relabelling.

FIXED

>> The SPARQL Flint Editor is copyright (c) 2011 TSO Ltd and is licensed
>> under
>> MIT License. The source code is available at
>> https://github.com/TSO-Openup/FlintSparqlEditor
>>
>> Source Locations:
>> - platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/editor/
>
> Accidentally relabelling.

FIXED

Apologize for the problem caused by my wrong execution (I think in times
of LMF 2.2) of the maven-license-plugin.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández